Author Topic: Exhaust options for a K9 DL650  (Read 5939 times)

Anonymous

Exhaust options for a K9 DL650
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:25:53 »
Are there any ?
I'm having a problem sourcing an aftermarket exhaust for the K7 onwards. Otherwise I'm going to have to start cutting, drilling and chopping the standard can, because there is no way I can live with the pathetic sound of it.

Offline dogpuf

Re: Exhaust options for a K9 DL650
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:33:46 »
Have you tried doing a worldwide search on Ebay

I just did it on V-Strom then selected 'highest price' sort

I picked out this straight away and it may be worth contacting the suppliers to see if they are compatible with the K9

I'm sure there will be cheaper cans

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TERMINALE-MIVV-SU ... 230307516d

cheers Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:37:53 »
Thanks Lee.... but I was hoping to order from a UK company.
Those cans are way too expensive for my tastes. The Titanium dual port Blueflame can for my Bandit was £180, so I was hoping to pay around the same sort of dosh, or less.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 15:18:40 »
So there isn't one single person on here with a Wee K7 onwards, that has changed the exhaust ??
I also use a Suzuki Bandit forum and I don't think there is a single person on there that HASN'T changed the zorst.

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 15:45:32 »
I think there is a lack of 'zorsts for the Strom. I did a search on e-bay and found two systems, both in Italy and both mega bucks!!
The litre boys have much more choice  :crazy:

Try: 360211569774
Or: 270538990149

Stu

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 16:55:12 »
Quote from: "StreetHippo"
I think there is a lack of 'zorsts for the Strom. I did a search on e-bay and found two systems, both in Italy and both mega bucks!!
The litre boys have much more choice  :crazy:

Try: 360211569774
Or: 270538990149

Stu

Cheers Stu....
The Leo Vince is not a bad price for a full system, but still more than I wanted to shell out.... the second one is a slip on so I'm assuming its for an 04 to 06 only.
If I'm not happy with the OE exhaust after modding it... I may look into cutting the zorst off above the 02 senser and having a piece of pipe welded on to take a slip on can. Then I can just put any make of can on.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 17:48:33 »
Would it be worthwhile trying to pick up a set of early downpipes from ebay or the like ? Or have I missed something here ? (I've got a thou by the way).  :shrug:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline raggydan

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 18:08:17 »
most of the sslip-ons are for wee's up to 06,the exhaust  on the 07 onwards was changed.
I know remus do 1 but I'm not sure if it involves alot of cutting of the original pipes.
Other than that the only option is an after market full system.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 20:42:25 »
Quote from: "2112"
Would it be worthwhile trying to pick up a set of early downpipes from ebay or the like ? Or have I missed something here ? (I've got a thou by the way).  :shrug:

No good.... the exhaust system is designed differently on the newer models.

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 21:09:28 »
Quote from: "raggydan"
most of the sslip-ons are for wee's up to 06,the exhaust  on the 07 onwards was changed.
I know remus do 1 but I'm not sure if it involves alot of cutting of the original pipes.
Other than that the only option is an after market full system.

The thing is with the Remus system, which by all accounts is a half system, means that you pay top dollar for something that you still have to cut the original pipes and still keep part of the original system.

I had this problem with my cruiser (Intruder 1800) where the whole system was welded as one piece, so needed a complete system to get a decent zorst. Then, same as the DL650, they had an 02 sensor to contend with.
These were the hideously ugly, extremely heavy, and awful sounding pipes....

So I just had the end pipes chopped off with an angle grinder, still leaving the header pipes with the 02 sensor, had some small exhaust tips fabricated out of stainless and welded them on. They were loud as feck, so had to add some small baffles in them... the result was pretty good, never needed remapping or a power commander and had no fuelling issues or problems whatsoever.

So I don't see any reason why I can't do this to the Wee.... only instead adding a race can instead of stainless tips.

Offline raggydan

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 21:28:00 »
you can put a zorst system from an 05 model, they fit straight on the newer models
according to the yank vstrom sites.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 21:35:36 »
you can put a zorst system from an 05 model, they fit straight on the newer models

But I believe the yanks don't have the 02 sensor that we have. If I do away with this sensor I can see extra costs in remapping and/or power commander.

Offline 2112

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 17:25:30 »
Quote from: "Jasper"

No good.... the exhaust system is designed differently on the newer models.

Bugger, I thought it sounded too easy !

Offline 2112

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 17:27:53 »

But I believe the yanks don't have the 02 sensor that we have. If I do away with this sensor I can see extra costs in remapping and/or power commander.

Just a thought, could you not get a local firm to weld in a mount (I assume it's threaded) for the o2 sensor to the old exhaust ? We have a company up in Newcastle who perform near miracles with exhausts.  :shrug:

p.s. flog it & buy a thou...

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 17:56:23 »

Just a thought, could you not get a local firm to weld in a mount (I assume it's threaded) for the o2 sensor to the old exhaust ? We have a company up in Newcastle who perform near miracles with exhausts.  :shrug:

p.s. flog it & buy a thou...

Yeah I'm going to look into whatever options I can do concerning the 02 sensor, I know a fabricator that works with bikes and makes exhaust systems so I'm going to pick his brains sometime. I cut off the pea shooter today so at least it sounds marginally better until I find a replacement system.
And I don't need a Strom Thou.... I've got a 1250 for when I want more power  :mrgreen:

Offline Euroned

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 19:14:16 »
Is there no way to modify the oem exhaust to make it sound better?..must be a way without a blowtorch?

Neil
Stay rubber side down!

Offline raggydan

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 19:16:51 »
cut off the pea shooter.

Offline Euroned

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 19:19:39 »
cut off the pea shooter.

Is there an easy way to do this, without making too much a mess, bike still shiny! :shock:  :shock:

Neil
Stay rubber side down!

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 20:52:34 »
Quote from: "Euroned"
cut off the pea shooter.

Is there an easy way to do this, without making too much a mess, bike still shiny! :shock:  :shock:

Neil

The best way would be to take the end cap off, but the bolts are welded on. Even trying to cut through the small welds with a Dremmel started making loads of scratches on the polished end cap. So I got a circular cutter attatchment on a cordless drill and cut it off from inside the pea shooter. It was a pig of a job and I couldn't cut the pea shooter as deep as I'd have liked to.
It does sound slightly better though.
There is also the option of drilling holes around the peashooter, but untill I hear one that's been done I'm not gonnna chance it.

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 15:15:01 »
Hi, This company make a link pipe and a choice of cans for the wee strom. I've used them before for different bikes and there stuff is well made. I phoned about my wee strom last week and the link pipe he makes is the same idea as what people do with the Sv 650. You have to cut the sv exhaust (50mm from the weld)and attach the link pipe and can. I don't know exactly where you cut the exhaust on the wee strom, but if you give him a phone I'm sure he will explain.  http://www.performanceracingparts.co.uk/
If it's broken, it's not fixed.