Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 226395 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #640 on: August 03, 2018, 21:08:51 »
And I love your gorgeous
Exhaust. ( oh!  dear what will his tallness think of that? )
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #641 on: August 03, 2018, 21:23:09 »
He had his chance and he blew it...
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #642 on: August 03, 2018, 22:48:49 »
 lol
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #643 on: August 06, 2018, 09:15:55 »
Saturday and Sunday the weather has been 'Scorchio' .... Sunday morning on the SV, I left the campsite and went to "The Owl's Nest" for a late breakfast. Cheeseburger and salad Hmmm! and two cups of tea in the blistering sun. The only shade was under my crash helmet so I set off for a ride around, Builth Wells, Aberystwyth, for ice cream, Cardigan and back to camp. 178 miles if the speedo trip is right. The severely hard saddle informed my rear end of every yard. The roads surfaces were mostly very good and in the few areas where the top surface is stripping off there were adequate road signs warning of a 'temporary surface'. Still many times better than the roads around my home area. The roads were mostly empty and I managed to get a good 'wriggle on' without scaring myself too much. It is a 'fun bike' with capable handling but it does need a suspension upgrade if it's going to be 'pushed'.

The purpose of the trip was to check that I can load/unload the bike on/off the trailer and that the car can pull the trailer and to better understand what my needs are to fit out the car as a 'sleeper'. No sink or cooker, TV or heater this is a metal tent and not a camper van.
On the way to camp the dreaded "ENGINE FAILURE" message appeared on the dash and the car went into limp mode. 40MPH up hill at best and 55 MPH on the flat. Having just spent £1700 on a tow bar, full service and replacement DP filter I was somewhat "cheesed off". I called the garage that had undertaken the work. They were concerned but could not do much from 350 miles away. Fat Rat advised I call the breakdown folk and get them to plug in their 'gizmo' to determine the fault from the error code."'DP filter blocked and 'regeneration' not available". The fault message was cleared but came back within ten seconds of starting the engine. So the plan for Sunday was that I would leave my bike and trailer and try to limp home and get to the local garage. I set off about 8pm and crawled up the hill from the campsite. I managed reasonable progress  to the A40 until the first hill when I had to 'floor it' in third to get 45MPH @ 3500 RPM. At the top of the hill I managed to get it fourth gear and 3500 rpm, which it had not done on it's previous journey down.  Then the car picked up and behaved normally in fact It ran at 70MPH all the way home despite the check engine warning light the Engine Failure message on the dash.  It's got to the garage this morning and if it shows off again I'm afraid it's going to get the "John Cleese" (I'm going to give you a good thrashing) treatment.

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #644 on: August 06, 2018, 11:11:08 »
Sorry to hear about the car Dave but at least the bikes OK, removed my heavy rear foot peg hangers for a nice light R&G one a lot less weight to pull around.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #645 on: August 06, 2018, 16:26:45 »
These "modern" diesels can be a pain. Unless you have someone who knows what they're doing they can cost a fortune. As AndyM has pointed out before any muppett can read a code (me included), finding and curing is where it starts to be fun. Wiring faults, sensor faults, connector faults can all cause the symptons you have described.

Hang on to your purse David.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #646 on: August 06, 2018, 19:05:27 »
To quote Vivian "Bloody, Bloody, Bloody" This morning I drove it to see a friend  before taking it to the garage with 'check engine' showing just as it had on the 300 odd mile journey home last night. It ran normally with full power.  After a quick cuppa I got back to the car and when I started it the 'check engine warning light did not remain on.  At the garage they connected their diagnostic PC and there was no current fault showing.  Like any intermittent fault I may have to drive it until the fault reappears and then take it back.  Meanwhile, of course, I am hoping this was just a glitch and it won't play up again.   ###  Yes TLP  you're right. Reading between the lines, the Handbook warns that driving the car with ineffective environmental controls can be illegal in some countries. I am guessing that the car is set up to go into limp mode to prevent a driver ignoring warnings and committing an offence against the planet.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #647 on: August 06, 2018, 19:17:07 »
@DLste. Yes very nice  :thumb:.
My priority Christmas list:
Handlebar risers. 20 mm can be done
Fatter grips (grip puppies maybe)
Re model saddle to something flat that does not slide me into the tank when I shut off (let alone apply the brakes) and add some padding, another 20 mm to compliment the bar risers and so it can no longer be confused with an ironing board.
Hugger
Upgrade front and rear suspension.
Although, as it is, I had such good rides on Saturday and Sunday that I feel I like this bike more than anything I have ridden in the last 40  years.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #648 on: August 06, 2018, 19:54:44 »
@Brockett, I'm very suprised it didn't store any codes. The slightest out of spec reading the ecu sees normally logs a code, if it continues it'll throw a light after that limp mode.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #649 on: August 06, 2018, 19:56:44 »
Yes TLP there was history but no faults were current. The mystery is why/how the check engine indication switched itself off.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #650 on: August 06, 2018, 20:40:37 »
I had an intermitent engine warning light on my Volvo. It ran fine, no loss of performance. I checked the code and it came back as an exhaust camshaft timing fault. I checked all the connections, checked continuity from the ecu to the cam sensor, from the ecu to the VVT solenoid and established that the VVT solenoid was operating. The timing belt had been changed 4000 miles previously at a volvo dealer, I took the car to our local "bloke"and asked him to check everything that I'd done, no need he said, he plugged the car in and read the live data. The cam timing had gone out of spec according to the ECU, he set the engine up to remove the belt, locked the cams and the crank removed the belt, set the VVT hubs correctly and stuck it all back together. That was 18 months ago and it's been fine ever since.

I just love modern things. ###

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #651 on: August 06, 2018, 21:50:32 »
I used a fag paper and a feeler gauge to adjust the contact breaker. The world went racing off when solid state timing appeared and I have never caught up.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #652 on: August 07, 2018, 05:50:00 »
Lumenition was the beginning of the end mate. :old:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #653 on: August 10, 2018, 21:52:45 »
Thursday I took the fussy Fiat back to West Wales to collect my bike. After a cosy night in the car I loaded the bike on the trailer and headed home. The M4 was like a long car park and the M25 was in a complete sulk. The journey was a bit over 8 hours with just enough rain in the last two miles to ensure I had to put a wet bike in the garage. Many thanks to Andy and Karen for their help.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #654 on: August 10, 2018, 23:15:10 »
Thursday I got the pressure washer and snow foam lance out for the Varadero.
While I was at it the XJ600n got a blasting too.
It's the first time I've washed it since it's original scrub to see if anthing else was wrong.
It ain't clean but the people I work with were shocked to discover the bike was in fact black not brown.  :-x

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #655 on: August 16, 2018, 22:44:29 »
First annual service today. Asked about a warranty claim on spokes and not a problem. It looks like a new set of wheels will be provided if Honda agree to the claim. The dealer then showed me 9 sets of wheels waiting to be fitted following other successful claims. Some of those claims were like for like replacements but now they replace with proper stainless spokes.

Also order what I think is the final piece of my buffeting solution with the wind deflectors Honda now fit to the new Africa Twin Adventure Sport model.

Still loving the bike though and over the 5500+ miles in the year, I'm pulling 54.5 mph indicated.
Ridaz

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #656 on: August 17, 2018, 08:00:39 »
I thought it would go a touch faster than that Ridaz...?!

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #657 on: August 17, 2018, 08:02:32 »
I only get that as I'm always waiting for a big bloke on a Yamaha  :thumb:

Well spotted though  :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #658 on: August 17, 2018, 08:48:08 »
 lol It's all the chips and cakes. They slow me down!

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #659 on: August 17, 2018, 10:38:33 »
Ridaz, good luck with the wheel claim, I have been waiting three months  ###
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!