Author Topic: Wear Those Boots !!!  (Read 3690 times)

Offline baldgiffer53

• Bipolar Explorer
  • Bike: Dl1000, Rockster, Bulet, AJS, Pegaso, Trident, California,
Wear Those Boots !!!
« on: April 21, 2018, 08:13:44 »
Returning from Alton bike meet wednesday on the A33 outside Basingstoke.. all of a sudden a forthcoming Van was at me / over the white line and BANG... One Hell of a Bang !! And pain in my right calf was Horrendous !!! I honestly thought my Tibia was broken.. in so much pain I just had to concentrate on finding nearest stopping place and getting off bike to lay down. Of course no following drivers bothered to stop & see if I was OK !! Guess it was the bumber that impacted but the noise was unbelievable and I guess it shocked / suprised me so much it took a minute to realise what had happened... another (probably pished or on mobile) driver got away with shite driving .. Grrr.
Anyway.. my reason for post blokes and gals is.. FFS make sure you wear decent boots.. I admit that as it was so hot that day I very nearly went out in DM boots.. THANK CHRIST I didn't !!!
I limped bad for a couple of days/ have some bruising..and if I had worn my DM's ? Probably be in plaster now... so there stands my advice to all .. safe Riding out there !!

Online Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
Re: Wear Those Boots !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 08:28:03 »
Glad you're OK. Did the van stop?
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:36:52 »
Food for thought. Glad you're OK.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:26:00 »
Good to hear you are OK.

I assume the van buggered off and you have no witnesses?
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline baldgiffer53

• Bipolar Explorer
  • Bike: Dl1000, Rockster, Bulet, AJS, Pegaso, Trident, California,
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 10:55:47 »
Cheers blokes... can't believe that for the amount of pain I only have visibly a light bruise... still painful so mebbe a medical check in order... knee coming out in sympathy now  !!

Kin glad I chose the Strom that night... I nearly went on my Rockster and my kneecap would definitely have been the target what with lower / more inclined ride position. I'm a big believer in fate due to other experiences.. and now I am further convinced... esp due to decision to NOT wear DMs ... for the last time !!

Yup.. Bugger didn't stop ... neither did any car drivers following...

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 12:40:31 »
Glad you're OK, but do get yourself checked out to rule out any lasting damage. You should also report the failure to stop of the van to the police. Amongst other things (someone may have reported witnessing it though I wouldn't bet on it) if you end up needing surgery/physio then you may be able to claim to offset any loss of earnings etc.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 13:55:55 »
It might be worth putting your incident out on local social media asking for anyone travelling behind you who may have had an incident cam running. Not necessarily to have captured the incident but the vehicle travelling away from the scene to obtain an image and index etc..
Also this is an RTC so if you haven’t done so already, to cover yourself under the Road Traffic Act, you need to report it to the Hants Police.
Not only from a legal point of view but as a long shot, if you continued for any distance before stopping, the offending driver may have thought you were OK continued on their way but then subsequently reported it themselves. As I say a long shot but when I was working I dealt with several apparent hit and run collisions that were solved by that exact circumstance.
Glad you seem to be not to badly hurt and a good call for ATGATT!
I’ve been thinking about getting an always on Cam for my bike, I have one in my car, but your unfortunate incident has now made me think to just get it done.

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 21:17:32 »
Good to hear you are OK  :thumb: I must admit I don't wear my boots often enough but after reading this I think I will wear them now.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 22:17:33 »
Hope nothing more serious is found. Meanwhile I hope you feel better soon. As my mate once said leather is expensive but it's still cheaper than a skin graft. Having been knocked off my bike and waking up in hospital four hours later I hate to see how some riders put themselves in danger by riding without gloves or proper boots. Last year I saw an idiot on a sports bike ride out of McDonald's with all the right clothes but with a very young child on the pillion in what looked like a shell suit and no gloves. That should be an offense of child endangerment.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 23:07:36 »
Good to hear you’re recovering, undoubtedly, ‘proper’ kit can lessen the severity of injuries sustained in such incidents.
However, I, like many, will continue to ride in ‘normal’ gear whenever it suits.
My reasoning is, my kit is the last line of protection when I ride, when all other defences in my armoury have failed.
Yep, I understand, should something ‘unpredictable’ happen to me, this may result in me suffering unnecessary injuries, but on balance I’m comfortable with that risk.
In fact, when taking my kids on the pillion I’ll often actively choose to wear flimsy non-bike specific kit, simply as a mental note to enhance and heighten any feelings of vulnerability, and hence increase focus.
The only thing I always ensure I wear are gloves, I figure if I’m laid bashed up in a hospital bed, I’ll probably still want to pick my nose.
Each to their own I guess eh.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 23:16:52 »
"Each to their own"

Yeah, you definitely don't want to go round picking other people's noses.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 23:46:20 »
Good point Rusty. I was always told "You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose". True that.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline King Orry

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 10:37:20 »
 :text-goodpost:

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 14:21:14 »
I, like many, will continue to ride in ‘normal’ gear whenever it suits.
My reasoning is, my kit is the last line of protection when I ride, when all other defences in my armoury have failed.

But to my mind, that statement (which I whole heartedly agree with, by the way) is exactly the reason why for me it's ATGATT!* (and I've just invested in an airbag vest, actually).  Like you say - each to their own, but I don't follow the logic...

*Except when you're on your holidays in Greece riding a ratty old hired moped of course; cos as everyone knows, that doesn't count...
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline megaross

• Bike: '16 Glee XT (Soon to be), '97 GSF600S
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 09:52:48 »
Both offs I've had I sprained ankles, had I not been wearing my boots I would not have been back running a week later, more likely in and out of the hospital for weeks.

The glorious TCX touring boots I invested in stopped my ankle twisting too bad in the first and stopped the bike crushing it as it flipped and landed on top of my leg in the other.

Also had an old codger drive into my leg once, twit.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 18:33:37 »
It's an interesting view, King Orry, made me think. Ultimately though, my logic is that if I am hit, then my kit is my first (possibly only?) line of defence...so I wear my boots, gloves etc all the time!

Having said that I won't wear airbags, or owt. So I do draw the line somewhere, just as you do and we all do :thumb: 
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 08:40:02 »
Good advice and I hope you have some luck finding the idiot in the van, I'm an ATGATT advocate, I also use a helmet cam all the time, the air bag vest I'm not sure about, suppose it's a great idea though.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 09:39:00 »
  I hope everything heals fast, I'm one for wearing my kit, I have paid for the stuff, so it makes sense to put it on.
 I also insist any passenger is protected too.
It is, at the moment, a personal choice, but with the volume of traffic, even in the country, and standard of driving, let alone road conditions, I see it as my first line of defence.
 My wits, riding ability and good fortune provide unpredictable help, that can't be relied upon in reality.

Offline King Orry

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 13:35:02 »
Aye, each to their own eh.  :thumb:
To explain my ‘logic’;
I think of kit as just there to keep me warm/dry.
It only does anything else when my skills/ability has failed.
If I have to wear it to feel confident, I shouldn’t be on a motorbike in the first place.

Ultimately it’s good behaviours that will protect me, not kit.

Thankfully, as I always say, I NEVER fall off.   :shock:

p.s. what is ATGATT..?  :shrug:

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 14:06:04 »
All the Gear All The Time????