Author Topic: Ready for winter storage  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Hessy

• Bike: DL1000 K6
Ready for winter storage
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:21:42 »
All cleaned up and two cans of ACF50 later she's ready to go to bed till spring

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Ready for winter storage
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 17:26:34 »
It will get wet and stolen if you leave it there. I'd be tempted to put it away. :thumb:

I trust you used 10 cans on the Navigator due to it's substantial value. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Hessy

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:54:40 »
Yes I've done the same to Navigator mate,
I do have the original Headlight and belly pan (which needs mending) also standard handlebars and a spare screen plate for the fairing!!
as I said before the person I bought it off had not looked after it and butchered the front end to put spot lights in it so even if I put the original lights back in there would still be gaps all round so I won't be using them again unless I found another fairing which is highly unlikely.
I also got some after market exhausts (end cans) with it which are in very good condition but I much prefer the look of the standard ones.
Hessy 

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:59:28 »
I like the cat skin seat cover. Does it bite...?
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Frostilicus

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 18:24:21 »
I was going to make a comment about pussy on a bike, but then I thought I'd better not, so I didn't :)

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 05:41:13 »
My eyes, my eyes :icon_exclaim: those headlamps :icon_exclaim:

Pierre Terblanche will go ape when he sees his design masterpiece subjected to such violation.

Nice tartan travel rug by the way.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Hessy

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:48:25 »
I know I know but its not my fault honest lol

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 18:15:06 »
Don't quite see the point of ACF50'ing if the bike is being taken off the road for winter?
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 18:19:21 »
A bike is susceptible to corrosion if stood still in a place where there will be condensation.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Hessy

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 08:33:02 »
I couldn't agree more, I've always looked after my bikes, the person that said he can't see the point in acf50 if your putting it away for winter has missed the point I think..
This is my 2004 GSX1400 and my 15 year old Honda XR650 that get the same treatment every year! hope he sees the point now ?

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 08:50:34 »
White wheels on the GSX14... everytimeSWMBO sees one with white wheels she tells me she wants hers painted white.

Told her I'll get it done if she gives me the money... she said black wheels are fine.

Her Gsx14 has been parked up since September and is bathed in acf50. She's been warned not to ride it without washing the brakes just in case.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Hessy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 08:55:53 »
Yes the white wheels were standard on that model, Lady 14 rider..Fantastic.
People say ACF50 is too thick but if you just put it in warm to hot water for ten mins it goes on lovely.

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 10:23:12 »
Last year I drenched my bikes in WD40 and the 3in1 oil. The condensation got so bad in spring that water was dripping off the engines, and it turned the 3in1 oil to milk where it had pooled.

I was going to look at protection sprays but didn't want to deal with the mess.
Looked at vacuum bags and also coated bags but I need to position the bike close together and thought that would make the bags difficult to work with and likely to tear.

In the end I wrapped them both in a large tent material cover to make a sort of sealed bubble and have placed a 20w bulb under the engine of each. I also have temperature & humidity probe in there so can check periodically that the air in the bubble is consistently warmer & dryer than the garage air. This should really help once we start to get the big temperature shifts between night & day, like we do in spring.

Offline Hessy

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 13:28:48 »
Hi Rich, yes the best thing I find is to give them a really good clean before you put them away and make sure they are dry before you spray whatever you prefer all over them. I honestly find ACF50 the best of the bunch as it is kind to rubber and plastic as well as all metal and wires. I was also told that wd40 can attack rubber components but don't know if anyone else has heard of this ?? putting it inside a tent I think is a great idea then just cover it with a soft bed sheet that your wife doesn't know you have lol

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 13:57:41 »
Agreed, and to that end I bought.. much my GF's amusement.. a pet hair dryer.
Just like one I've linked to but mine's Orange.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Cat-Pet-2800W-Grooming-Dryer-Hair-Blower-Heater-Blaster-Hairdryer-UK-Plug/292322654528?hash=item440fc9b940:m:munvo7eIxc5tDJiHBnO_WAQ

It's slower than using a leather but can remove the water that pools in bolt heads quicker, clears all the water that gets trapped in the radiator fins and is great for drying your chain before lube (if cleaned).
You can use it instead of leathering if you want but more importantly it can get where the leather can't, in between the engine pots for example.

After power drying I tend to also leave a fan running in the garage over night just to finish off the drying. I've picked up some fs365 too which I'm going to start using between rides and after washing but as I don't tend to ride in rain, or through the winter I don't think ACF is really called for even though I know it is better.

Offline Hessy

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 14:14:00 »
Hi again Rich, thanks for the link, I will have a look at that. GT85 is good also and at most auto jumbles there is usually someone selling in bulk... 6 cans for £10 !!
I was only put off WD40 because of the rubber issue but don't honestly know if it does attack rubber ?

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 15:05:47 »
You can also get dedicated bike driers, eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282755862471 which are probably better for the purpose than pet driers... personally I just use a leaf blower!  :thumb:
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 15:35:45 »
Nah, from what I saw the only difference between the good bike dryer and the pet dryers is the length of hose. The one on mine looks short when switched off but once the dryer powers up the hose gets longer under pressure, and I can easily dry the bike without needing to hold the pump body, not that it's heavy so you could hold it.

The one you linked to is just 500 watts, which although the air will feel fast coming from it, it won't have the quantity required. It'll be a small diameter jet. Mine is a 2800 watts blower which seems standard for bike dryers.

I also tried to use a leaf blower as I have 2 of those... They did do the job but were clumsy and heavy to wield, hard to control to address close detail work. I feared I might end up damaging the bike so gave up on them.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 15:38:59 »
One more thing about bike dryers - wear earplugs!
The aren't that loud when running but boy do the scream when you get them close to the bodywork. They scream, whistle & howl...  :grin:

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 18:33:42 »
AC50 is great, but two cans? on one bike? wow I've treated 3 bikes twice a year for the last 5 years and only just finished my 2nd aerosol can.