Author Topic: Carole Nash  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Carole Nash
« on: July 25, 2017, 13:14:26 »
Just had my renewal through and although the premium has come down by £3!!! the total cost has gone up by £25! This is because they are charging me "a fee" of £43.59 this year ( £18.00 last year).
When I rang and asked why I got the reply "because that's our normal fee sir, last year year was your first policy with us so you got a discount".
My reply was " well don't you want to keep me?" The rep' said he'll get back, a few seconds later he was back and offered me a discount of £10 off the total.
Can I ask those of you who use CN is this fee of £43.59 standard and have any of you who argued enough got a better discount?
I would prefer to stay with CN as I think it's a reasonable price, £189.58 with the £10 discounted, because previous quotes plus breakdown insurance have come to more.
If the premium had been more I don't think I would have minded, it's the 'fee' that annoys me. All they have to do is take my money, nothing is changing!!  :shrug:
Cheers.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Carole Nash
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 13:20:55 »
My stance would be that I would expect it to be cheaper than last year assuming no claim has been made.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 13:31:25 »
Try going on their website for a quote.
I did that and found it much cheaper than their own renewal, I waited half an hour and sure enough they called to see f I wanted to proceed with my on-line quote.
I explained what I'd done, and that I was an existing customer but the lad said he'd happily honour the quote as new business. Saved me quite a bit of cash.
Like you, I am happy with CN and like the 'free'.. Recovery aspect.
Irritating as hell you have to mess about like this though.  :smirk:
And no, I've never been charged a 'fee' of any kind.

Offline AlanT

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 16:07:32 »
What is the 'fee' for, do you know?

I was with CN, but was unhappy with a 'fee' they attempted to impose when I cancelled the policy on my 2nd bike after selling it. There was about 2 weeks left to run and I was expected to pay £40+ just to cancel it! I didn't pay the fee despite being threatened with debt collectors.

I've no doubt they all do it, but CN were so unhelpful and agressive that I won't use them again.

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 16:15:22 »
I was with Carole Nash for over 20 years and never once encountered this fee when renewing. Had the same issue every year though, always sending a ridiculous renewal quotes through the post , I get on the phone and basically say "don't be silly" and instantly its halved. 
I switched insurers this year because they couldn't compete after buying a new bike, but shall be calling them again next year to try again .

I see all insurers and crooks , it's a matter of choosing who will rob you the least .. :shrug:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 17:57:43 »
Andy, I expected it to be a bit more this year, things do go up and I'd have been happy with £5/£10 increase on the premium, maybe a bit more!
King Orry, I'll try that & see what happens.
Alan, the fee is 'the fee', it doesn't say what it's for. I presume it's a charge for me giving them money!  :shrug: the renewal says, Insurance premium £139.27  -  Insurance premium tax amount £16.72 - Fee £43.59. total £199.58
kwackboy, thing is this year's premium is less by a whole £3.30, it's just this bloody fee that's annoying me!  ###.
There's been no changes to my details so all they need to do is take the money from my debit card!

Mick

Offline John G

• Bike: 2016 Suzuki DL1000 AL6
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 18:18:29 »
Insurance Premium Tax is 12% since June 1st this year so 2% of any increase is collected by HM Revenue and Customs. So I'd be happy with paying less for the insurance and more for a "fee" (maybe admin costs?). You are saving 12p on every pound that is transferred from insurance to fee. Of course the overall cost has to be the deciding factor.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 18:21:56 »
Surely it's just the brokers fee and it's just the way the renewal document is laid out.In the past you just had a "renewal ".Now everything has to be laid out in black and white.  Ian Mc.
Ian Mc.

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 18:36:32 »
Had my Carole Nash renewal this year and it was £125 dearer. .. asked them to do better and got £25 knocked off .... went to MCE who quoted me £5 cheaper than my previous year ..... Rang CN who said they would take £75 off my renewal quote ... I informed them that obviously MCE was still cheaper .... He spoke to his invisible manager and quoted the same price as MCE .... I told him that because he mucked me about I wanted my No Claims proof sent to me ..... He spoke with his invisible manager again and I got it £10 cheaper than last year.

Why do we have to go through the same shite every year.
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 18:58:19 »
Sadly because apathy and inertia  for a large proportion of the great unwashed allow them to get away with it . :icon_no:

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 19:18:46 »
Why do we have to go through the same shite every year.

The majority seem to accept their auto renewal quotes not knowing they can simply call and negotiate .
Everyone should do it ..

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 20:53:10 »
Insurance Premium Tax is 12% since June 1st this year so 2% of any increase is collected by HM Revenue and Customs. So I'd be happy with paying less for the insurance and more for a "fee" (maybe admin costs?). You are saving 12p on every pound that is transferred from insurance to fee. Of course the overall cost has to be the deciding factor.
Thanks John, that makes it a bit more clear.  :thumb:
Still think that what is an admin fee at over £40 is extreme just for taking money and posting some documents. In fact by charging that they've created more work for themselves in that, one of the reps' was on the phone for 20 minutes to me today and another 20 tomorrow, maybe again on Thursday if they don't come down a bit more tomorrow!  :grin:
Probably end up going with the offer of £10 off because despite my objections I still think the price for insurance and breakdown is reasonable. Just don't like the thought of paying out for what appears to be f*** all!!  :old: 
Mick

Offline Moo

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 21:40:20 »
I rung up Bennett's referrals team to sort my policy out, as I wanted to up my mileage but could with the current underwriter (EARS don't do over 8000 miles)

So they set me up with a new policy and he waived every admin fee and discount possible. Got it for £193 for the year. I'm 24 with 7 years no claims for a Wee  :grin:

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 11:28:06 »
I've got 3 bikes on my policy with CN. Used to be only one a few years back and premium was under  £150. Added a fairly new Fireblade to the policy and understably the premium doubled. Then added a vintage Suzuki with an agreed value which only added a few quid. I changed the Fireblade for a new T120 Triumph  and the premium went up. By no stretch of the imagination would the plodding Triumph be more of a risk than a highly focussed sports bike. After a lot of haggling I eventually got it for around £380. I've got 6 points on my licence and taking into account the value of the 3 bikes I thought it not unreasonable. Got rid of the Triumph to buy the V-Strom and got stung for a mid term adjustment but when the annual renewal came through premium was up to £460. Went through the usual arguments and got it down to £405. I don't think CN are any worse than the others but after nearly 40 years of claim free riding it would be nice if insurance companies stopped taking the piss.

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 11:55:21 »
I like the sound of this insurance thing. Is it new

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 11:00:10 »
Another 30 mins on the phone this morning and I manage to get another £10 off!!!  Its now just over £5 more than last year.............happy with that!   :lala:
Plus it didn't cost me for the phone calls as CN use an 0800 number!
Always worth a phone call,  don't let the "automatic renewal" happen if it's more than you think it should be! 
Mick

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 13:44:17 »
I have had a six-wheel policy with C/Nash for a few years now,they always try it on at renewal time.Get a few quotes from a comparison website,make a note of them and then call C/Nash.Tell them if they don't price match you are leaving.If they don't,go to another insurance broker,and then when you call back next year for a quote,you are in effect a new customer and get it cheap.P.S. don't tell your new broker what C/Nash have quoted,always the cheapest on the comparison site and ALWAYS ask if this conversation is being recorded,they always say yes,then tell them you DO NOT want auto renewal.
Ian Mc.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 17:53:31 »
Can see where you're coming from Ian but to get bike insurance and breakdown cover would cost me more elsewhere or seperately.  Despite my complaining I think the deal I got is good,  just the 'fee'  was bugging me and it seems there was no need to charge me that anyway.  Just think they try it on with the auto renewal hoping most folk won't bother to ring and complain.
Luckily I have the time now,  some people don't!!
Mick

Offline DCZH

• Bike: BMW R1250RT (previously DL650 L4, R1200RT) and ride R1250RT Blood bike
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 11:57:37 »
Very helpful thread as my renewal with CN is due shortly...

Thanks blokes,

Derek

Offline Steveostorm

• Bike: Suzuki v strom 650
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 20:42:02 »
Very helpful to me to as my insurance with cn, is coming up on the 19th.