Author Topic: With regret, time to move on.  (Read 2700 times)

Offline cabra

• Bike: 1995 Triumph Trident - 1976 Triumph Trident - 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
With regret, time to move on.
« on: June 05, 2016, 13:32:42 »
Sadly the time has come to change my beloved Vee, a fantastic bike, and incidentally the one and only Japanese motorbike I have ever owned.
I have changed over to the only bike currently available that I would even contemplate as a replacement, the Ducati Multistrada. This one is the "S touring" complete with trick suspension etc, etc and unlike the Suzuki it comes with proper brakes - as standard!! I just thought that I owned brakes before!
All joking aside though, yes I know all the horrendous "Ducati" stories but I don't care, this is the most seductive motorcycle I have ever owned, it will have its "foibles" & faults, what doesn't, but that is "glass half empty" syndrome and I shall refer to all the aforementioned as "character", after all it's hard not to like a proper character!
So there it is, with regret I take my leave, my Vee is in the for sale section, it is also advertised elsewhere (for slightly more)
Once again thanks for the craic (Irish-ism there)

Offline String

• Bike: 650XT
Re: With regret, time to move on.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 13:36:46 »
Nice looking bike there - can see why you were tempted❗️
String.

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 13:53:15 »
Nice beak  lol :thumb:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 14:10:39 »
Enjoy!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Mintee

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 14:36:35 »
Have to say l have done the same, the difference is incredible and fell for it within a few miles of the test ride - but time will say whether the legendary Ducati reliability issues will occur !

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 18:50:19 »
I've been looking at these care to share your thoughts and why it's better than the Vee. It would be a £2-3K upgrade for me so what swung it for you?

Offline cabra

• Bike: 1995 Triumph Trident - 1976 Triumph Trident - 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 22:26:44 »
Oh, where do I start. For me it was a combination of reasons, both head and heart.
I love the Vee, it's a fantastic bike for the money, everything on it is budget - suspension, brakes etc but as a package it is brilliant & genuinely all day comfortable. 
In contrast, the Ducati is a work of art in both design & engineering and unlike the Vee, everything on it is premium  - for example, "trick" Ohlins electronic suspension and Brembo brakes that will fire you over the handlebars if used as per a V-Strom.
The Ducati is also almost 40kg lighter and along with an engine that is over 50% more powerful at 150bhp what you end up with is a genuine super-bike with pin-point handling - on stilts, and yet it still retains all of its big V twin characteristics - a bit "lumpy" but manageable low down, exactly the same as the Vee, wonderfully smooth and relaxed at cruising speed, just like the Vee, however, unlike the Vee, snap the throttle open and  Ducati will launch you at the horizon and if you are ham fisted about it you will only have one wheel in touch with the road most of the time!
The comparisons that I am making are not exclusively K6 Vee versus 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s, I have ridden fellow forum member ProfG's new DL1000 (Veek?) - I liked it, a lot but the same comparisons (against the Ducati) still mostly apply.
So, what exactly does swing it for me?  Is it the Ducati's contradiction of bonkers/manic yet well mannered/controllable nature? - Yep!
Is it the F1 type technology, engineering and development that goes into hi-end performance motorcycles? - Yep!  Is it the typically quirky Italian design and passion that has gone into "creating" this motorcycle? - Yep!  Will the Ducati be as dependable/reliable as the Suzuki? - Who knows, probably not!  Do I care? - Nope!
So there you are Flanners, please don't think I am knocking the V-Strom, I'm not, quite the opposite in fact but only in 1000cc form, to be honest I was never a fan of the 650 - too Wee, excellent commuter but hard work for long days/big miles/prolonged brisk road work.
I have clocked up about 1100 miles so far and loving every yard of it, as I said before, this is the most seductive motorcycle I have ever owned - be warned though, having a bit more than "basic" mechanical know how will be a must if you are to avoid expensive dealers - having said that, I suppose that is true for all bikes.
In conclusion - you pays your money, you takes your chance!

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 10:09:33 »
Good write up and a nice bike. Looking at your K6 with 39K it looks an absolute peach someone got a bargain there. Enjoy the Duc!

Online porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 17:31:49 »
Good health to enjoy.  I had a demo on one before I bought the Veek. Have to say it was the best bike I'd ever rode but at 13k I got a Veek instead, sort of regret it. If I'd the money I'd have one.

Offline cabra

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 21:11:26 »
Good health to enjoy.

Thanks for that. Where about in NI are you?