Author Topic: Alternatives to the XT1200z  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Alternatives to the XT1200z
« on: August 17, 2015, 13:50:32 »
In the recent thread discussing the new Africa Twin I said that it is likely to be the only current bike I would consider swapping my S10 for.

That got me thinking, what is out there (current/new) bikes that would serve the same purpose for me that the S10 does.

For me the S10 is big and comfortable, it's the bike I roll out when I have to do a 500 mile journey in a day. It has lots of room and with the Trekker Luggage I can disappear to Europe for a week. The engine is lazy but I like that.

Triumph Explorer is out as in my view it isn't VFM
Triumph 800 is under powered (in my opinion)
1050 Tiger, had one, really liked it but it often wanted to be going faster than I did
BMW (any) - There's lots of happy owners but for me there is too many horror stories, I won't be going there
V-Strom DL1000 - I'm not happy with the finish, there are too many owners with issues and even at the current price I'm not interested..
KTM - I have no experience of any road going KTM
Versys - hmmm old hat?
Crosstourer - same VFM concerns as the Trumpet

Discuss   :grin:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline frez

Re: Alternatives to the XT1200z
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 17:18:41 »
As you only use it for long journeys, something for distance in comfort rather than an adventure bike, maybe a GTR1400 or FJR1300.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 17:22:27 »
+1 - GTR1400 sounds ideal.

(and you can lend it to me for a while)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 18:12:16 »
I rubbed myself up against one a few years ago, I was pleasantly surprised at the riding position.

However, I'd be nervous travelling over to France, imagine how may illegals would fit in that ridiculous exhaust  :haha:

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 18:54:43 »
Sounds like you already have the bike that best fits the remit, congratulate yourself on being so thorough and love the one you're with.

That's the trouble with bikers, 18 months and eyes start to wander, it's sometimes best to test ride new stuff to remind yourself just how good the bike you already own is.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 20:57:03 »
I love my Vee , with all the mods its a vastly improved bike over standard for which in my opinion is how it should have come from Suzuki but a while ago I had an XT1200 in my shop for a set of tyres and the owner let me have a ride for which impressed me, for me is my next bike, it ticks all the boxes, looks great, handles well and the build quality seems up to anything life can throw at it. This one had been upgraded, it was dripping in world crosser bits a full akra system and set up properly, the engine didn't seem lazy at all...!! better save my pennies..!!!
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Chalkmyster

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 22:00:03 »
How many miles do you do Andy per year??

I would choose a GS based on size (seating/pegs/bars etc), tank capacity, service schedule and also residual value (at present).  

However saying that.....my strom (650 - apologies still can't get my head round glee/wee etc...) is doing 65mpg on a daily 120 mile commute and half the price of a new GS.
Regards,

Chalky,

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 22:05:08 »
The miles aren't huge because they tend to be spread between a few bikes  :shy:

Fuel economy isn't a major concern to me. I wouldn't touch a GS with your arse  :)

Offline Chalkmyster

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 22:36:15 »
How do you know where my arse has been?  :angry-tappingfoot: someone been telling stories  :grin:

Maybe you have too many bikes....and no I have not been talking to Mrs Rat.  :)

What about a Honda VFR 1200 which is not in that same bracket as original thread but could be in relation of FJR1200 and GTR.
Regards,

Chalky,

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 08:14:33 »
The trouble with all big adventure bikes is they are designed for adventures but used largely for ordinary riding on terrain that does not require their capabilities. This in itself is not a problem but when it comes to comparing them, let's not get too pedantic. For 90% of the riding most owners I see around seem to do, apart from being big showy macho looking machines, the differences between models are not so great. Take them all over the Alps, across deserts and in snow and the differences might start to emerge. It's a bit like taking morphine for a headache. Yes, yes the same can be said of the middleweights but there is more chance of pushing a 650 to the limit on a trip to Tesco than one of the big buggers. If I were in the market for a S10, I'd probably judge it on how it rode locally rather than for my never to be trek across the Himalayas. That said, I like Suzukis - largely unpretentious bikes that do most of what you throw at them well and cost not a lot. However if I wanted to do big miles I would not choose an upright windy machine with long travel suspension, I'd probably buy a Busa and do the job in style  :neen: .

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 08:26:41 »
A good argument SeaStrom and I also thought of the Busa. But ... I'm not sure they look good with luggage on and Mr Rat had a requirement for a set of Trekkers in his first post. So the FJR/GTR seem better suited.

This one looks good though as the luggage looks integral.

Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 10:28:57 »
Having travelled a good few motorway miles on both sports bikes and more upright models, clipon low handlebars make for much smoother, more stable travelling, with safer overtaking of lorries. Adventure bikes with their high stance can provide some scarry moments! Some riders do not like the bent forwards stance but the fast low sport tourers are better than FJR and clones for cutting through the blasts. Personally I always found sports bikes best on the motorway. Of course if you insist on carrying the kitchen sink...... :)

Offline frez

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 11:50:32 »
I agree sports bikes and sports tourers make a lot of sense for high speed travel, my old knees just wouldn't allow for much more than 30 minutes or an hour on a sports bike and at 6'4" even most sports tourers would be pushing it.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 17:04:37 »
Don't forget the Stelvio, it's quirky and incredibly comfortable if a little (OK a LOT) heavy. After a few weeks on one of these you'll be begging for the S10 back...

One of my work colleagues had the use of a new Aprillia Caponord 1200 a while ago and was very impressed with it, plenty of go and really sharp handling. Very comfy and it had the weird suspension on it so it just glided over every road  imperfection. If he wasn't such a Ducati fan he would have had one.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline petestrom

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 19:12:06 »
How about a GSX-S 1000? I recon that would be great mile muncher.  Read the reviews.   :auto-dirtbike:
Pete

Make someone's day, it'll come back to you sometime.