Author Topic: Sat Nav recommendation  (Read 3527 times)

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
Re: Sat Nav recommendation
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 23:38:20 »
On the TomTom Rider 400 series you can skip a waypoint and it will just re-route to the next one.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 09:33:00 »
I just paid 90€ for a chinese unit called Excelvan from Amazon, delivery included in the price. Moto specific with fittings and waterproof.

Charges/runs straight off the battery or 'cigar' socket. Cheap and cheerful, more than happy with it.

You don't need to pay big money for a satnav.  :thumb:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 11:22:06 »
I have the Garmin 345Lm that Garmin sent me when my 340Lm died. I do like it a lot. With regards to planing a route, I too use Tyre, but as I'm a complete dim wit where computers are concerned ( I count it an achievement just turning it on ) I found this chap very very helpful and very easy to follow too. I now have planing a route off to a T.
He was a Godsend for me.
Fed up with anti motorcycle legislation ??. 
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??
https://www.mag-uk.org/

Offline Mudster

• Bike: Honda PCX125 and DL1000 K3
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 18:59:40 »
I just paid 90€ for a chinese unit called Excelvan from Amazon, delivery included in the price. Moto specific with fittings and waterproof.

Charges/runs straight off the battery or 'cigar' socket. Cheap and cheerful, more than happy with it.

You don't need to pay big money for a satnav.  :thumb:

Probably asking a bit much of a low cost unit, but can you upload a route from Tyre or Myrouteapp to this unit? I want to be able to plan a route and load it into the nav.

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 19:31:18 »
Mudster, I have to say I've only played with/used the unit on a couple of occasions but I can't say it's cheapness carries any super apps.

The routes I've used so far are adaptable to add way points no problem; I've done it directly into the unit. I think you get what you pay for though. It's not Garmin or TomTom.  :grin:

There is a link for updates (don't know if they're free) and extras for the unit. 'naviextras'.......

I bought it to make getting lost impossible and boldly going where I've never gone before. You still need a map (or star chart) for that!  :whistle:

Offline Mudster

• Bike: Honda PCX125 and DL1000 K3
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 20:25:53 »
Thanks Joe. Was going for the TomTom rider 550, but having second thoughts. Been out today using my phone and NavMii which also accepts waypoints (although I only just figured this after using it for the past year!).

It's mainly for when I go away for long weekends with friends and one of us will circulate a route to everyone else.

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 21:11:00 »
I'm not saying such possibilities don't exist, just I haven't found it yet!  lol

I'll experiment a bit more. Like you I don't have every day need for it. Will get back if I make a break through. I have a tour towards the South coming up this month..........  :icon_wink: