Author Topic: Thinking of changing to a V-Strom 1000  (Read 8757 times)

Offline deecat

• Bike: 1050
Thinking of changing to a V-Strom 1000
« on: November 25, 2017, 11:35:45 »
Hello All,
I am looking at changing my current bike which is a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 and I have been looking at a new V-Strom 1000 but I could just do with some information from any 1000 owners please.

I had a go on a 2015 model which had 5,000 miles on it and when it was warmed up and in neutral at the traffic lights the engine sounded very rattly which is a lot different to my Kawasaki or my NC750x that I own is this normal once the bike has covered a few miles from new?

Also one of the reasons for me changing bikes is that I suffer from high frequency vibrations in my hands which make them go numb .

I have tried all the usual fixes for this along with trying out different gloves but as I can ride the NC750x all day with no problem I have accepted that this bike is not for me so I would like to know please how  the V-Strom is after say an hour of riding?

Also on Holiday this year we went around the Highlands and as we like to wander on single track roads when we get the chance  I started to find the Kawasaki a bit heavy when I had to stop.

Looking forward to any advice.
Phil

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
Re: Thinking of changing to a V-Strom 1000
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 13:05:43 »
Right.. not sure where to start but I'll try my best.

I own the "2018" DL1000 and I love it but I can't really compare it with the Versys as I've never even sat on one.

I'd say the rattle that you mentioned is common with most bikes once they've been run in, it may sound worse than most because of the V-twin configuration though but if you dump any bike into nuetral and release the clutch you'll always get some clutch noise.

I've never had an issue with my hands going numb due to vibration so I can't really comment on that but the DL is definitely one of the more comfortable bikes I've owned over the years.

From the look of it your Versys uses the Z1000 lump which doesn't have the low end torque the DL has, the DL will peak at 4000rpm where yours needs to spin up to 7300rpm, this could be just what you need to ease your vibration issues but you would lose the top end rush your Versys has.

If I were you I'd try and hold out until next year or if it has to be now for the current offers just pick your day very carefully to take the latest model out for a test ride, I was lucky enough to have a dealer that allowed me to take one out for 2 to 3 hours.

Anyway if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them but I've only had the bike 6 months and done almost 2000 miles on it.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 14:20:08 »
I've had an FJR 1300 for 6 years and thought it was the last word in all day comfort but I recently bought a new V-Strom and it redefined the comfort thing.
I've done a few close to 500 mile days on Scottish highland roads both solo and with the wife and we both find it better than the Yamaha in most circumstances. Where I find the V-Strom loses a little is high speed stuff (way beyond speed limits). This doesn't bother me as I don't have to be doing 3 digit speeds to enjoy the V-Strom. I'm much less prone to numb hands on the Suzuki than I am on the super smooth Yamaha. I can feel the V-twin thumping away, particularly at low revs, but it's far from unpleasant and from 4k it's as vibration free as any IL4. After a few months of ownership and around 8000 miles I continue to be impressed with all aspects of the bike.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 14:20:26 »
You know your own body and have doubtless given the problem much thought but ......  I thought vibration was causing me to have numb hands. Then one day I tucked my gloves up the jacket sleeves and kept the cuff fairly loose. Never had a problem since.  My Z1000SX produced "tingley" vibes' that were quite different from my DL1000 ( K7) but then again all engines vibrate to some degree. Some you can live with and some you can't so always go for an extended road test of at least an hour mixed road types.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 16:49:44 »
As has been already suggested you need to have a good ride on one and see how it feels. Different engine layouts all tend to feel different and in general in line fours tend to have more tingly high frequency vibes, even if fitted with balancer shafts, than twins or triples. 90 degree "V" twins tend have a distinct feel which people tend to love or hate, but is rarely a cause of discomfort.  I used to have an RF900 which was quite vibey at sensible speeds but got so smooth at around 120mph that you couldn't feel the engine at all! I've used foam grips on some four cylinder bikes and this can help a bit.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 16:51:04 »
I have my strom 1000 3 years now and 19k miles.  I never get numb hands or fingers on this bike and  would get this on other bikes I've owned.
The engine does rattle quite a bit,  mostly from the clutch.  Mine was OK till about 10k miles but it is a bit of a rattle box compared to  a versy.
Comfort wise we are all different,  I don't find it that great, seat is hard, screen is crap, both of which I've changed. For me I sit to much on my tailbone and it kills my back in about 200 mile. Tried two seats but no luck. I'd say the versy would be more comfortable,  well for me.
Don't get me wrong like my strom, I'll be keeping it till there's 30k on it, it is a cheap bike to buy and run but I'd say not a refined bike.  Ready for the back lash!!!

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 17:04:43 »
I agree the screen is crap. I changed to an MRA and it's better but not great. I found original seat not too bad but got a good deal on a Sargent replacement and that is most definitely an improvement.

Offline deecat

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 17:51:50 »
Thanks for all the replies.
I have always altered my bikes to my own preferences so changing the seat (I have used Coventry custom seats for some time now) and screen would not be a problem.

I was just concerned how much the engine rattled on the  second hand bike that I took out and if this is normal as it sounded like a Ducati with the dry clutch rattle.
I have been watching some of the road test on Youtube and the bikes on there sound fine.

Whenever I change a bike there will usually be something that I preferred on the  previous bike but as long as I can alter things to make a bike work for the both of us then I will be happy.

As for the Versys the wife finds it very comfortable and even after a 500 mile run up to the highlands with only one stop and covering 2,000 miles over the fortnight  she does not want me to change the bike, but it was hard work for me on some of the small roads and on a number of occasions I had that horrible hot moment when I thought I was going to drop it!

We have had some good holidays in Wales on the NC750x which is much better on the small roads and I am looking for a bike that is between the Versys weight  and the Honda's lower power and poorer brakes.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 17:57:51 »
I'm really surprised that Suzuki haven't "fixed" the problems with the clutch rattling and screen buffeting. I put an MRA screen on my K7 Vee and it did improve things but what made the biggest difference was tilting the screen back just a few degrees by fitting some washers under the bottom mounts and using longer screws. It seems that the more near the vertical the screen is, that more turbulent air is created which then causes the buffeting. So tilting the screen back a bit improves the air flow. You used to be able to buy a bracket that enabled you to do this as well, which some people found very useful.

Offline SuMo

• Bike: 2014 DL1000A4
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 18:32:23 »

Hello Phil,
you could try grip puppies and bicycle handlebar gel cork like this bloke did. He says it cured his numbness.

Right hand going numb while riding... « Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 12:33:20 PM »
...When I first got the Versys (a year ago now) both my left and right hand would go numb on 50 mile+ rides...Then this past weekend, right before a 1500 mile trip I add a layer of bicycle handlebar (gel cork) over the grip puppy on the right hand throttle grip. Voila! No numbness- at all, on either hand.  https://www.versys1000.com/index.php?topic=16687.10

For single track you might spend another 1500 for protection and Tyres. A low bike price indicates that the resell value will be low too. Accessory won't help much. Weight is a different animal however you get the V-Strom close to the Versys after adding crashbars, belly pan and rack+pannier etc.
Not everybody complains about the seat but after only 80-100 miles my behind hurts. The Sargent seat looks great but sadly it doesn't help much either. Just yesterday I did 440 miles in the Hill Country and I was hurting. Did you check what the difference in insurance cost would be or is it only engine size and therefor more or less the same?
I'm riding a 2014 and it is a lot of fun. Switched from a R1150RT because of weight and the ability to go off the paved road. Don't see myself selling it in the near future.

Not scientific but could bring a smile. Versys1000 vs Tenere 660 Off-road   

Offline deecat

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 19:23:33 »
Hello SuMo,
I have tried grip puppies and found they made the bars too fat as I had heated grips fitted.
I also fitted Renthal bars filled with silicon ,bar risers, but nothing worked for me.
 When I used the bike on my own it was not so much of a problem as I would be travelling a lot faster than I would with the wife on the back but when we are two up we tend to stay around the 70 ish mph mark I just like the extra power for overtaking.

Looking at the dimensions the V-strom is 22kg /3.5 stone lighter and when we go on holidays etc I would be using the same panniers and top box that we have always use so if the specs are correct the V-Strom fully loaded should more or less weigh the same as the Kawasaki without luggage in theory.

Offline porter

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 19:43:41 »
Suzuki say 228kg but an American mag I seen said the aventure model was 247kg. Adventure model is everything on but the panniers. 
I find my strom big and top heavy, especially  two up,  much harder work than my last two bikes, tiger800 and a fz1 fazer. When I do sell the vee it will be for a lighter bike.
The strom is king at 70mph,  right at 4000rpm, relaxed, good mpg, and good power to overtake to 100mph. This is what I like best about the Suzuki and will miss if I sell.

Offline deecat

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 22:00:31 »
How would you rate the V-Strom to the Triumph Tiger 800? as this is my other possible option
but I do have a preference for Japanese bikes.

My Honda NC750x is rated at 220kg but it feels so much lighter than the Kawasaki so I do think some of the feeling of the bike weight is in how it is distributed.

When I tried the V-Strom out it  just felt narrower and lighter than my Versys

Offline porter

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 09:32:43 »
The little tiger was much lighter and easy to ride, sweet engine and gearbox so better in traffic etc. But it lacked the go of the strom. They look the same style of bike but are much different.  The tiger you have to rev hard, it only starts to go at 6000rpm, the strom is finished at that. They both had the same top speed, 125mph on the mountain mile but at real world the strom has much more grunt.
Worse thing about the tiger was the brakes,  weak when two up and the harsh suspension,  my wife hated it. Mine was a road model the xc is better but I'm not riding around on tubed tyres no more, its not the 70's anymore!
The tiger's an OK bike but the price is to much for what you get in my opinion.  I had some warranty issues and they and our only triumph dealer here just laughed at me.
Take a good long ride on the strom, try it in all situations,  motorway,  traffic etc.  And shop for better ear plugs for the rattles!

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 12:53:17 »
deecat, have you had your versys checked out ? ...I have a versys 1000 ( new shape) with a rubber mounted engine and is the smoothest bike I have ever rode at any speed, and when I talk to other versys owners first thing they say is how smooth it is ????

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 16:12:15 »
Which bike to you think you'll go for next Porter? not easy finding the right mix of weight and being able for 2up touring.

Offline porter

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 16:20:12 »
Unfortunately funds will indicate my next bike,  dreams of a multi or gs are just that!  Be a 650 strom, 650 versy,  tracer 700 etc
Maybe trade the wife at the same time for a Tai bride,  should be about half the weight!  lol

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 17:07:02 »
 lol lol don't let her read that though or your budget may reduce to that of a 125 scooter  :shock:

Offline vstroman

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 17:10:17 »
lol. I hope she doesn't have access to your computer!! Pity they don't make a v strom 800, the 650 is brilliant but if it just had 10 to 15 horses more it would be perfect for me, maybe upgrade the suspension then.

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 19:45:46 »
I like the idea of an 800 Vstrom.
There’s plenty of SV650’s bored to 750 for racing, probably a few on the road too, they can realistically make 100 horses, so a stock Suzuki created DL800, weighing little more than the 650 but with say another 20 bhp.. that’d be interesting. Especially if it retained the mpg/range afforded by the 650.
Dear Mr Suzuki... :thumb: