Author Topic: Advice on getting my Glee serviced for the first time?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
Advice on getting my Glee serviced for the first time?
« on: October 14, 2017, 22:56:08 »
Hi all

I have a 2013 VStrom 650 ABS, which I've had for a (very enjoyable) year, and it's now due a service.   Now, last time I owned bikes - 30-odd years ago - I did absolutely all the necessary work and never went near a workshop except for MOTs.  This time around I'm afraid I'm taking the lazy route and have found a highly recommended independent mechanic who I'll be taking it to.  However, I'm not sure what I should be asking him to do.  When my car goes in each year, I just ask for a full service, but this seems a bit different?

My bike's is 4 years old and has covered 8800 miles.  First question: I know the manual says the service schedule is  "X" miles or "Y" months, whichever comes first, but does that really apply for every aspect?  In terms of the bike's history - I bought it from a dealer who 'serviced' it (no idea what that entailed) before handing it over, and I also tracked down the previous owner who'd done his own work on the bike and I know was very clued up; he advised he'd recently 'replaced all the fluids'. I also recently had the engine oil and filter replaced when the bike was in for its stator recall.

My understanding is that this model will have been supplied new with iridium spark plugs, and assuming that these are still present, the Suzuki recommendation of replacing them at 2 years/7500 miles can safely be ignored, right?

I have yet to discuss things with the mechanic, but is it appropriate to ask him just to do a 'full service' here (less oil, oil filter and spark plugs) or is more a case of itemising the things I want doing? If so what?

(I'm overthinking this, aren't I!?  :shrug:)
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline greywolf

Re: Advice on getting my Glee serviced for the first time?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:49:12 »
Some services like fluid changes should be done on a time or mileage basis. Fluids deteriorate with age as well as use. Rubber also has an age effect. Most other services like spark plugs, valve clearances, filters and bolts loosening happen only with use. Speaking of spark plugs, the stock Iridium plugs are good for 50,000 miles. I imagine your bike is out of warranty by now so leave the spark plugs alone.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:45:42 »
At your bikes currently mileage a minor service / check over is all that's needed .
Also if the oil and filter was changed when it had a stator recall it will need even less .
I second GW's advice about the plugs also..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Tintent115

• Bike: 2021 Vstrom 650XT & Suzuki Burgman 400
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:47:41 »
Looking at what appears to have been done recently, is there much left to do?

Possibly check and/or replace the air filter, check brake pad thickness and lubricate/tension the chain?

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 20:23:31 »
Thanks a lot people, great stuff!   This is all good background info before I speak to the mechanic.

Regarding brake fluid, as far as I know that's been changed within the past 2 years (as above) but can't say for sure hand on heart. Google's pointed out that the fluid darkens as the moisture content increases, and this can also be measured with meters - is that not what's needed here?  As in, should a mechanic be able to check the fluid and advise whether it needs changing (regardless of whether it's 1 or 10 years old?).

Chain's always lubricated/tensioned - that's one bit of work I do keep up myself.  I suppose the brakes (and ABS) are my major concern; they work fine now but (assuming the pads are thick enough). I need to know that they will keep doing so for the next year, that all the moving parts are doing their thing and aren't in imminent danger of seizing up. 

KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS