Author Topic: Newbie!  (Read 2066 times)

Offline jmee54

• Bike: DL650 L7, Guzzi 73 Eldorado, 71 Ambasador, 79 Convert
Newbie!
« on: August 17, 2017, 21:59:09 »
Hi, just bought a new 650 Vstrom - the cheaper version. I have clocked up about 350 miles so far and enjoyed them except for a few niggles, which I didn't notice on the test ride. I am sure some, if not all, have been mentioned on the forum, but I'll add my tuppence worth anyway.
The riding position gives me pins and needles in my hands after a while, due to the bars being a tad too far forward or maybe a bit too low. I need to try extended risers and have read 30mm are OK without new cables. Would 30mm high and 30mm back still be OK?
I find the throttle a bit snatchy - could be just me used to my Guzzis, but I have to be extremely delicate with it to prevent lurching when throttling off or when changing gear.
It goes really well and corners are dispatched with confidence and so far it is doing 62 miles to the gallon.
I would like to get :-
An engine cowl to keep the muck of the front.
A centre stand.
A rear hugger.
Any help in these matters/accessories would be hugely welcome.

But so far I am very happy............... AND yellow is best!!!!!

Oh by the way I live in Cornwall, Cheers John.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 22:04:08 »
This isn't an intro, so I have moved it to this section - People who may answer these questions don't necessarily read intros.

Head over to Introductions and say hello properly while people read and answer here  :thumb:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:28:38 »
Hi John
I also got a new 650 last year, now done just over 8500 miles, trip meter shows 70 mpg, didn't start off that high but increased as the engine got run in. I ride fairly quickly but I'm no knee down racer, too old for that sh!t.
I also found the throttle a bit snatchy to start with but I put it down to the change between my previous bike (carburettors) and the glee (injection), you'll get use to it.
Haven't had a problem with the bar position but I know lots on here have used the risers, I'm sure they will comment in due course, they are a very friendly bunch with lots of great info.
Had the engine cowl and centre stand fitted from new both work great and seem to be a must have on here.
Enjoy the bike, you should have great fun on it, if my experience is anything to go by, still can't believe what a great around bike I found,  corners well, plenty fast enough, economical and doesn't go through tyres in a few thousand miles.
 :thumb:

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:41:18 »
Hi and welcome

Yup from experience I can most definitely say carb to FI is the snatchiness and I know that is not a word. Nearly creamed mine in a few times into backs of cars, but you will get used to it, my California was FI but nothing as responsive as the DL

Is that the Ambassador with the Villiers 2T I had one once loved it but tried to cut the 2 stroke oil mix down cos I was very lazy then, so no more mains etc. Mine you a chap called Alf Snell who was the god amoungst men sorted it

I have had loads of different bikes over the years loved the Guzzi California the best I think but the DL pisses over all now I am used to it.

Don't much like the valves at the moment though :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers

Ian

Offline Beeroclock

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:08:53 »
Hi

have the same model V_Strom - loving it...snatchy throttle seem's to be indicative of many recent injected bikes my previous MT07 was terrible in this respect - I hear that Triumph have sorted this though. It may have something to with fuelling and Euro compliances - but I'm not an expert...

I have fitted the cosmo stand and find it works fantastically well for the money..there are an number of rear huggers available for the V-Strom from puig, powerbronze and my fav (visually) is the GIVI MG532 - though they seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment...

Cheers Phil

Offline Nelson

• Bike: DL650XT L7
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:57:19 »
Hi John
I've found snatchiness too, but I suspect we'll get used to it quickly enough. Throttle response really is great.
Just fitted a Cosmo centre stand - easy to fit and once you've hauled onto the stand the first time the effort required seems to reduce a bit, just as well. Don't forget to use your owners club discount code (I didn't and didn't save 10 Euro's!) Ordered a Powerbronze hugger but not arrived as yet, also a Cosmo fork brace which seems like a good idea even if road behaviour is excellent at legal-ish speeds. I thought the standard screen was excellent until I tried motorway speeds and the turbulence was annoying - double vision due to helmet rattle. Ordered a Givi adjustable screen, again not arrived as yet.
Only other thing ordered so far is a Loobman chain oiler.
I've noticed that my 2012 model vibrates at 65-70mpg in top gear, and has a rough spot at the same point through the rev range in lower gears. I'm sure my 2011 model was smoother, but the vibration isn't enough to cause numbness.
Currently fitted with Bridgestone Battlaxe by the previous owner and wet grip is excellent, seem to be wearing well.
The mpg is embarrassingly high, so you'll all think I ride like a fairy (OK so I do) On a recent 250 mile run on A and B roads and keeping generally to the speed limits the trip said 82mpg. I thought this would be grossly optimistic but when I filled the tank and did the calculation it came out at 87mpg! My 2011 model, granted ridden in a more "spirited" manner, gave 68mpg.
Overall the DL650 is the best bike I've ever owned and the praise for this model is totally justified. I'm in love. Even the portable stress relief device (AKA the wife) seems to like it.

You'll never find yourself flying down the road wishing you were wearing less protective clothing.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 16:40:18 »
I went from  GSXR and thought the snatchiness was just being a bit ham fisted on the throttle... You learn to become smoother.

I bought the OEM centre stand and a pyramid plastics hugger. Both great. I'm looking at the heed bash plate as it looks decent.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 20:06:13 »
Welcome to the forum, I fitted SW-Motech up and back risers, no need to change any cables or lines,makes a big difference to me for comfort.
Givi air flow screen and a fork brace are good additions too.

Offline jmee54

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 14:55:58 »
Thanks for the replies blokes. I will live with the throttle for a while and see how I get on. I think I need to get some risers though and then next on the list might be a centre stand, we'll see.

Offline Ali p.

• Bike: DL650 XT AM1
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 19:41:57 »
I bought some M&P risers a while back. Went to fit them and realised I had already fitted them when I first bought the bike lol. I put that down to age lol. You are welcome to them just postage. I also have bought a heed bash plate. I will be taking the cover off that came with my bike .I don't know if it will fit yours though. Where are you in Cornwal as I am down there a lot for work these days.

Offline Wayne_202

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 19:47:20 »
 :welcome: as asked where abouts in cornwall are you? I'm only in Devon

Offline jmee54

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 22:00:14 »
Hi Ali p, I am near Helston on the Lizard. I will gladly relieve you of your risers and cowl (if it will fit or can be made to fit) and pay you a fair price. Cheers John

ps I don't know why it says "blokes" in my post I didn't write that.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 22:16:15 »
Take the bike back to the stealers,and ask them to check the TPS setting as you think it is dangerous.After I set mine up I couldn't believe the difference,and how smooth it has made the on/off throttle action.
Ian Mc.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 23:23:37 »
ps I don't know why it says "blokes" in my post I didn't write that.

That's the American filter, there's lots of Bloke Martin fans here too :dance:

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 23:37:38 »
Welcome to the forum, I fitted SW-Motech up and back risers, no need to change any cables or lines,makes a big difference to me for comfort.
Givi air flow screen and a fork brace are good additions too.

Agree with these 3 mods. I fitted the cheapo M&P risers first, but they are awful quality. Yes, they are cheap......for a reason.

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 05:34:54 »
I bought some M&P risers a while back. Went to fit them and realised I had already fitted them when I first bought the bike lol. I put that down to age lol.

lol lol lol lol lol

I put it down to you being a plonker Ali  lol

Offline jbaptista

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 08:49:28 »
I have the new 2017 650, and I haven't noticed snatchy throttle, so far is smooth, but I'm not using TC control. The gears were a bit hard, but I have done the service, and Suzuki used full synthetic oil, and is running better. For me the driving position is not causing any problems, but I'm using the DL1000 Gel seat, I'm a bit lower and very comfortable.
The Tyres are horrible on wet track or sewage lids, very slippery, but OK on dry track. 

Offline Nelson

• Bike: DL650XT L7
Re: Newbie update
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 11:15:15 »
Givi Airflow now in place for long enough for a valid comment. Reduced turbulence over standard but still don't like the way it looks - form follows function I suppose, eye of the beholder and all that.
Completed a 1200 mile+ trip around Scotland and fuel trip showed 82mpg. When I manually calculated it was 87mpg. Enjoying the light, surefooted handling which is a revelation after what I've been used to for the last 12 years. Ordered a Haynes manual to assist with home maintenance, plus a couple of oil filters to get things started.
If any of you blokes are thinking of a European tour as a club let me know please. Prefer camping, cheap rooms or perhaps Eurocamp, which are very good value when block booked for parties. Nine night accommodation this May, own room in a shared 3 bedroom mobile home worked out at £204 and this included the tunnel - not bad.
You'll never find yourself flying down the road wishing you were wearing less protective clothing.

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 19:10:54 »
 :welcome2:
A mudguard Extenda will keep a lot of muck off the engine (Mine's from Pyramid Plastics, but others are available)

Offline jmee54

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 20:47:56 »
I have fitted risers, care of Ali p and they have made my ride a lot more comfortable. I have ordered a Givvy bash plate from Italy (cheapest and free postage!). I liked the look of it, but think I might paint it, we'll see. I will buy a mudguard extender and hugger and perhaps a centre stand. Oh and I've ordered a Loobman, but then read I don't really need one unless I'm covering big mileage, which I don't - except for the odd trip.