Author Topic: Flip up Helmet first timer advice !  (Read 13159 times)

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
Flip up Helmet first timer advice !
« on: April 24, 2016, 19:00:53 »
My trusted Arai is now over 10 years old and sadly a new lid beckons.   Good news is a birthday looms so might get a bit of help  :)

Always had Arai (Chaser) and a quantum 'F' for 10 years before that.

Today at stealers looking at options and saw AGV K5 that fitted a treat and about half the price of Arai. (same material as well)   Then I started looking at Flip up helmets.  Oh dear.  The principle seems great, but prices range from £100 up to nearly £500.  Any views please from long time owners of the Flip up ?  Are they more noisy than a normal full face, or with ear plugs does it really matter any way ?  I have had full face for over 40 years so a bit apprehensive about a leap into the dark !
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Flip up Helmet first timer advice !
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 19:35:42 »
I have a caberg duke, it's a good helmet, cheap at below £ 150, comes with pin lock anti mist, not much to say, it all works and is comfy, with a good safety level.

These helmets are by nature noisier, but I don't find it an issue myself.

One thing to check us that you can still achieve a lifesaver over the shoulder, as these style of helmet can obscure periferal vision a touch.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 19:41:05 »
Noisier and heavier. My head has fitted Shoei for the last three full face lids. Now on Shoei Neotec. Same fit, same quality, noise is noticeable, weight is fine when wearing it. Ask yourself why you want / need a flip, see if the price / noise /weight are worth it.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 19:49:42 »
Good points Rusty, I just like a flip up.

Another thing, they are renowned for opening in a heavy  impact.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 19:56:46 »
I bought one because I'd had 15 years of a pisspot and shades, felt a bit closed in with a full face and wanted to ride "open" when conditions allowed. I know it's not tested in the open position, but that's up to the individual. Also as a wearer of glasses, makes that a bit easier.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 20:35:28 »
Much the same here,I open mine in  heavy and slow traffic, more air and better vision. :)

Offline Bratton

• Bike: 2017 MT-09
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 21:30:27 »
I use a Caberg Tourmax, it's my second Caberg and very happy with it. I looked at Shoei but the Caberg just fitted my head better.

I ride with earplugs so don't notice much noise coming in, I do like the inbuilt sun visor  and the way you can lock the front open.

Went for flip fronts because it made getting on military bases and secure facilities easier, plus It's handy when getting fuel  :)

Offline Dingerb68

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 22:09:17 »
+1 Caberg Duke  :thumb: I really like mine, but can't comment on how it compares to a full face lid. Thanks to Rusty I can zip along at a rapid rate of knots with the Caberg flipped up due to the Givi airflow (Thank you Rusty)

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 23:22:14 »
Like any lid - fit first & foremost.

I loved my Arais (like you Quantum f then a Chaser), I fancied a flip front last time but most creaked & felt cheap so bought another Arai (last one about 8 yrs ago) due again last year so had a good luck at flip fronts again - funnily enough most creaked & felt cheap!
I narrowed it down to:

Shoei Neotec, lovely lid but Shoeis just don't fit me.
Schuberth C3 nice & supposedly quiet but not as comfy as.....
HJC RPHA Max evo (bit of a mouthful....!), lovely fit, feels decent quality & noise is similar to my Arai if different (less wind roar, more road noise off other traffic). 5 months on & I'm still happy with my choice, as others have mentioned, it's nice to ride with the front up - although most aren't tested/certified or recommend to ride with the flip open.
They are an outgoing model & I picked mine up for £199 at the bike show including pinlock insert.

Certain flips like Shark evotech (sp?) are certified to be ridden open face & closed so may be another consideration but they just felt a bit flimsy to me.

Happy hunting :)

Offline Phil from Woodton

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 06:38:54 »
I bought a Nolan flip up at the MCN thrash at Peterborough last year at nearly half the listed price and love it. Its a touch heavier than I was used to, but love having that breeze in the face when pootling off from a start. At speed (with the face down!) it is actally queter than the full face I had before.

Phil

Offline earthcore

• obsessive compulsive irreverent paradox
  • Bike: the wee(general dogsbody), laverda 750 supersport and SF2, two fzr1000 exups now, one standard one streetfighter ,daytona 955i, FXDX superglide sport, nighthawk S, klr600, Cagiva W12 & Navigator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 08:14:22 »
I've got an AGV flip front but can't get on with it,
it doesn't fit shape of my head lol
OK line up for jokes
if I say theyd never fit tom sykes do you get the gyst :-)
they are made for chinless wonders lol
and
id say the Givi X08 I had previously was much comfier and better aerodynamically
there are a couple of flip fronts that are gold star ACU rated now as well, think maybe HJC but not sure
wish KBC made a flip front, use KBC on track and they are great, best I've used in years

Offline Timmo

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 13:27:04 »
Its nice to take a break by using the flip whether stopped or slowing up,it feels like you have taken your helmet off without the ear ripping or unshaven sandpapering of the edge of your helmet.Just a nice break. The point about ACU Gold is a good one to follow.

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 14:20:23 »
I have a Shoei Neotech and I am struggling with it, beautifully made and lovelly to use, in fact I have made a decision to get my old (2nd) Caberg Justisimo out of the bike bedroom and start using it as of tomorrow. I also had a Caberg Duke which wasn't as nice as the Justisimo but a lot better than the Neotech. I may sell that one soon.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lifebiker?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline robsonthejob

• Bike: DL1000 K3 (thanks Grey wolf)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 09:23:38 »
I've a Neotec and use it for commuting and fun and I really like it.

I've had Shoeis for 20 odd years as they are the only ones for me that have a decent amount of chin space (Desperate Dan helmets ?)

Gozzer has the similar Shark flip helmet and that's really good also.

As said above Fit is most important.

If you go for a Shoei and you buy a Bluetooth headset get the Interphone F5MC with the dedicated fit high quality speakers its brilliant !

Offline markrob

• Bike: DL650 L0
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 21:24:33 »
Hello All

I use a Nolan N90 flip up with a drop down sun visor, very comfortable & easy to use.

Only faults are the pin-lock is at eye line level when fully closed so have to ride slightly open, and with the sun visor down as well it creates a double vision so has to be adjusted.

No buffeting but slightly noisy but ear plugs sort this out.

Now covered about 13000 miles in all weathers, in very heavy down pours water gets in through the top vents.

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/Smileys/default/sunny.gif Ride Safe     

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 21:26:10 »
Many thanks for input, when you start digging you realise all the options open to you.  I will have a look at the Calberg 'Duke' and intend on trying one this weekend.

You can get really  'bogged down' and never see the light of day again in techie stuff, but seems that 'plastic' (polycarbonate) helmets have a three year life cycle, composite and fibre glass, and more expensive material,  makes 5 year and more !  If you believe that  :smirk:  My Arai at 10 years has out lived its life by two. 

There are quite a few advantages of a flip hence my interest and those who have them, on the main, seem very content.  I was interested to read about 'creaks' and 'groans' :) from them mind
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 22:14:42 »
I'm happy with my Caberg Duke, with pin lock visor that came with, it all just works  as it should.

Most of the creaks and groans come from me rather than the helmet, it's an age thing. :old:

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 00:26:17 »
I've got a Caberg Duke. The Tour is the Duke with a peak but more enduro appearance.

I like the Duke. It's all about the fit. I tried all sorts big and small price tags and found the Duke had the spec I wanted AND fitted just right.
The pinlock was a waste of time for me. I like to ride with the visor up and the pinlock would move and break the air tight seal then mist up in seconds. Eventually the pinlock deformed and went in the bin... this shouldn't be an issue if you ride with the visor closed.

The only issue I have with it is the slide for the sun visor is located on the top of the lid and I find myself dropping my head to extend or retract it where my Spada Intrepid adv lid has the slide mechanism on the lhs and and falls to hand far easier. But that's only a small gripe.
The Duke is also legal to ride with the chin section raised as you can lock it in the up position. The catch is easy to engage, but hard to disengaged with gloves and the lid on your head. I've never had it close on me without the catch engaged, as the is a fairly stiff spring catch to keep it in the up position without the safety (P&G) catch.
Given the choice again I'd go for the tour as I prefer the adventure lid peaks but it's still the Duke under the peak.

Comms fit easily, but the odd shape makes self adhesive ones awkward. I had to use the clamp for my Scarla rider unit where SWMBO could use the sticky pad on her Shark lid.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Bratton

• Bike: 2017 MT-09
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 10:31:04 »
Oh one point about the Tour, the Peek is removable so you can ride with or without it which I sometimes do depending what mood I'm in. It is great for this time of year with the sun in your eyes :)

Offline JesterRich

• Bike: Veek 1000 2014
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 17:32:01 »
Has anyone tried the shark