Author Topic: Can you help my identify my screen please?  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Rich:-)

Can you help my identify my screen please?
« on: April 18, 2016, 23:20:27 »
It's a GIVI Airflow something or other...

Looks like the Givi adjustable top piece has been mounted on to the standard Suzuki screen - is this normal or a bodge? :shy:

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
Re: Can you help my identify my screen please?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 23:24:14 »
I've seen one on eBay the same as that today.
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 23:30:00 »
I was just reading on another thread where the Givi under screen can crack...and it isn't a replaceable item so that may mean there is a surplus of top sections out there that sooner or later get fixed to the standard screen instead... is that what mine is I wonder...

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 05:33:43 »
Looks like a diy hybrid. The Suzuki lower section will be a different shape, thickness, strength and possibly a different plastic from the Givi. The Airflow lower is a substantial item, built to take the stress of the upper. Good luck with it, keep an eye on it. Notice much wobbling of the top blade?

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 07:51:16 »
I haven't ridden her that much yet, and only once with the screen on a high setting.
With it as shown it seems to work fine at 50, and above if in clean air but I get some helmet hammer if there is a car in front causing turbulence.
I was about to start playing around with washers, to add additional space under the lower screen, but my DIY Sat Nav bracket has done this so I'm waiting to test the effect.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 16:20:37 »
I also have a diy hibrid on my bike as someone ( fatrat ) dropped his in the garage, and to be honest it has made so much difference its unbelievable what a couple of inches extra can do

stop sniggering

Offline Soapy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:01:28 »
Looks like a diy hybrid. The Suzuki lower section will be a different shape, thickness, strength and possibly a different plastic from the Givi. The Airflow lower is a substantial item, built to take the stress of the upper. Good luck with it, keep an eye on it. Notice much wobbling of the top blade?
Hello Rich

I'm the person with the cracked screen. I purchased the Airflow because of the noise generated by the original screen (the Airflow cut out about 90% of the noise)

I'm thinking of copying what has been done to yours. But before I do that can you tell me what the noise level is like and as somebody else has pointed out, is there any flexing of the lower Suzuki screen at speed with the Airflow raised.

Cheers

John S

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:19:41 »
I haven't really run with the airflow raised other than a quick test to 60. I've had it set an inch or two higher than shown but find that any higher and the screen is starting to get near my eye line, I'm 5'11" btw.

With it at the low position (as shown) I can cruise at any speed without excessive wind noise or helmet hammer as long as I'm in smooth air. If I'm following a car the turbulence starts to hit my lid.
I really haven't ridden the bike enough to form a full conclusion yet though as I wanted to get some mods before I started really using her. Even with the helmet hammer (following cars) the wind noise is not really present. I have damaged my ears riding so now always wear ear plugs and I even removed the small head light fairing from my hornet as that was directing air into my helmet and causing too much wind noise. I'm really sensitive to wind noise now but this screen set-up works great. Like I said, the only issue is occasional turbulence (Helmet hammer).

I'm the 3rd owner since that screen was adapted (at least) and I have recently had both screens off the bike to clean and I can say that the Suzuki one looks fine - no cracking evident. It feels a solid set-up so I would not hesitate to ride with the screen extended.

Offline Soapy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 14:18:19 »
Thanks Rich, I've got the Glee and it's a lovely bike to ride. The only issue I had was the noise. I don't want to spend another £140 for a Givi so I will try modding my original screen.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 19:18:56 »
Good luck with the mod.  :fix:

Offline Soapy

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 13:55:11 »
Cheers Rich

I'll report back in a couple of weeks. I put it on the Ferry to Shetland yesterday and I'm not back up there for another 10 days.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 20:57:06 »
Having ridden mine a little more now I think my screen does not work... this may be because I've fitted a Sat Nav above the dash.. I don't know.. but the helmet hammer just got worse...
I'm now running just the standard screen and it's better.. I'm experimenting with washers under the bracket to change the angle but that made it worse... also I think the mirrors might actually be the cause...
Testing will resume in the week when I'll whip the mirrors off and go for another spin...

This would be much easier if I had my own wind tunnel however I fear it would take longer to build said wind tunnel that this trial & error process will take so I'll just keep doing short test runs until I work out what's going on.  :)