Author Topic: Scottoiler  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Lincsman

Scottoiler
« on: February 11, 2018, 18:55:54 »
Sorry to disturb your Sunday evening but, I'm thinking of buying the Scottoiler V System, for my 2016 V Strom. I've read through some threads and looked at the pictures, but to my shame I'm not 100% sure that I've found the vacuum pipe. :icon_no: I've no problem looking like a fool, as I'd sooner ask you blokes for the correct advise and get it right, rather than just guess and it turns out to be a "Rodney you plonker" moment, and cut into the wrong tube. Also have any of you fitted the  Scottoiler Dual Injector kit ?
I hope that you can see the pictures of the pipe that I think I need to cut, the pictures shows the right side of the bike, and I can just about see the left side, which is where I'd like to make the cut. Any pictures that some of you might have would be great too. And finally since the original thread, are you happy with it and was it worth the money ??
Thanks for your help in advance.
Fed up with anti motorcycle legislation ??. 
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??
https://www.mag-uk.org/

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
Re: Scottoiler
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 19:53:34 »
I followed the Scottoiler instructions..
https://www.scottoiler.com/kb/article/DL650-v-strom-2012.html
when I did my 2014 model, and it works fine (as long as I don't let the delivery tube get bocked with road dirt...D'oh!). No experience of the "dual-injector"- sorry.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 20:50:32 »
Just tried that link and it comes up access denied.  :icon_no:
I'll try again later
 :ty:
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline MRH

• Bike: DL650A L7, R80GS, R100GS.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 21:05:55 »
Link didn't work for me either, Try this link, then choose your model and year.

https://www.scottoiler.com/kb/category/model-specific-install-guides/Suzuki/9/

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 21:30:05 »
That's better, I thought it was me, normally is.
Thanks a lot for that. :thumb: :thumb: I've bookmarked it too for later
Thanks again, just need to look for the vacuum tube in the daylight now  :) :)
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline paulja

• Bike: DL1000XT L8
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 22:50:06 »
I put the dual injector on my current Bandit12, it was simple enough although melting the end of the tube seemed a little weird, but just be sensible about how long you hold that match ;-) No, biggest issue I had (on the Bandit) was ensuring the injectors lined up perfectly parallel to the chain link sides, but it's too low to get your head under to see properly, so use a small mirror as it's very easy to have them skewiff to the chain.

I'll be dropping the SO onto the V-Strom in a week, just waiting for it (and the bike) to arrive.
In my defence, she did leave me unsupervised.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 22:59:26 »
The more I read the more I think that I'll get one, I did look at the Tutoro system but I like the fact that the Scottoiler can be hidden away from itchy fingers, as has been shown on some pictures here on the forum. The Tutoro is a bit out in the open, plus I don't really like a push on cap, it's more than likely a brilliant bit of kit, but it's not like the Scottoiler. I just need to look at the tubing in the daylight to confirm that the pictures I've taken above is the correct one to cut. Thanks for your help by the way with regards to the dual injector, always best to get someones advice who's used it
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline Vera

• Bike: DL1000A L8
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:49:43 »
As soon as we got our DL100AL4 I fitted a scottoiler.  I was lucky enough to find an `e-system` on ebay that was badly advertised so got it for £90 with a dual injector and the HCR (Which scottoiler say you can`t fit - but you can with inginuity for number plate light !)

No issues with dual injector at all.

Offline alibx11

• Bike: 2012 V Strom 650 al2
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 10:21:22 »
I used to use Scotoilers but now just use the Tutoro automatic oiler, dead easy install with no cutting of vacumn lines or wiring in, works of the movement of the bike.

Makes life a bit easier.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 12:30:44 »
Have a look at these as well. I have the PD mini on my 650 for 4 years now and works a treat. No cutting pipes, the pump works off a 12v feed and the reservoir has been enough for 3000 mile trips, but I have got it turned right down for minimum feed but I still get a bit of oil thrown onto the number plate.
http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Bike: KLV1000 2004
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 12:43:28 »
I fitted a "Loobman."  Cheap as chips. Works well when set up correctly, but easy to adjust. Applies oil to both sides of the rear sprocket. A press of the oil supply button for 5 seconds every time I fill up with fuel keeps my chain wet with little oil on the wheels and tyres.

Here's a pic. of where I mounted the oil reservoir. The tube beneath it goes through the hollow headstock and down to the chain.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 14:34:20 »
hi lincsman, I was the same when I bought 1 off here looked all over for better quality instructions etc. in the end I bit the bullet and fitted it to what I thought was the right tube, I got lucky :)
as I don't have a chain drive anymore I don't have a scotoiler BUT I do have the touring extra pouch thing for sale it interested.
drop me a pm

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 21:38:23 »
I had a v system fitted to my 2015 Glee by the supplying dealer and it works a treat. It only has one dispenser but that lubes both sides of the chain fine.
I don’t know what the difference is but you buy it as a model specific kit but as I didn’t fit it I couldn’t say how easy that is.
If the pipe continues to be elusive I’ll see if I can trace the pipe on mine and take a photo.

I’ve seen the reservoirs fitted in different places but, as I had one on a Bandit there, I specifically asked for it to go under the seat which is a bit tight but is OK, stays clean and easy to fill. Just a tad fiddly to adjust.
The oil comes in two grades but even in a hot summer I’ve only ever used the blue general formula and it’s been fine.
You need to reset it when the temperature changes drastically but their recommendation of one drip a minute is easy to set and I had to crank it up in Scotland last summer when we had six days of heavy rain.
I run it slightly rich so do get a bit of mess on my wheel and rear undercowl but that cleans straight off.

Also Scottoiler are a very good company as when my reservoir started to leak they sent me a new one straight away despite being over a year old.

I would recommend it.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 22:23:14 »
Thanks ever so much for the offer of a photo, if it's possible. I don't mind admitting that I'm finding it difficult to find the correct tube to cut into. I think the best thing that I'll have to do over the next few days is to lift the tank and take some pictures, pictures that are a lot better than the one's I've already posted, and hope that someone can point me in the right direction, it's a confidence thing I guess. I know my Thunderbird 900 like the back of my hand, but only having owned the V Strom shy of 2 years now, I'm naturally apprehensive about messing it up.
 :ty: :ty:
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline hotbulb

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:17:07 »
I took a few pics of fitting the reservoir to mine...
I'll see if I can get a pic of the vacuum tube fitting, although that was a bit hidden (and done more by feel than vision).

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 10:59:11 »
That's a very neat job you've done there. I'll crack this in the end.  :)
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline hotbulb

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 11:20:53 »
Thanks!
I've just had another look at the bike, and can't see the vacuum pipe or T-piece at all... D'oh! Probably better in good daylight - a bit miserable here today, and using avtirch didn't really help.  The official instructions are quite helpful, though

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 11:30:53 »
Thanks for trying, I'll have to pop the tank up later and have a good look round and take a few pics.
Thanks again.  :thumb: :thumb:
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 21:47:36 »
I'll try and describe where mine is installed (unfortunately I don't have any photos).

On the throttle side of the bike there's a pipe going up to a sensor near the airbox (IIRC there's also one on the clutch side), at the rear of the throttle body link. That's the pipe I used. If you unplug the pipe from the sensor and start the engine you'll feel the vacuum at the end of the pipe (though it'll store an error in the bike's memory).

In fact if you zoom in on this picture you'll see the pipe on the right near the throttle body near the top of the frame. It's the pipe with the screw clamp on it. It should attach to a sensor on the airbox. (I've tried to circle it for you but am editing it on my phone)

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 23:14:43 »
One word Brilliant, at least now I have a better understanding of what I'm looking for. The funny thing is the Scottoilers not been ordered yet, I'm not supposed to know about the surprise gift  :whistle: :whistle:
Thanks to all for your help, this is how forums should be, not the back biting that seems to on, on some forums.
 :ty: :ty: :ty:
DO YOU CARE ??