Author Topic: Wheel swap FINALLY finished.  (Read 3522 times)

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Wheel swap FINALLY finished.
« on: June 25, 2017, 20:12:10 »
My long winded wheel swap ordeal is finally over. It all started with my pathological fear of having another puncture with the tubed tyres fitted as standard. A bit of digging led me to the French Cagiva forum where some bloke had done the swap by simply removing his Cagiva wheels and replacing them with CBR 600 rims.

Easypeasy thinks muggins.

Muggins then finds a pair of wheels on e-bay, CBR600 F3 which are 5" rear, 3.5" front. They came complete with discs and knackered tyres and had been powdercoated in shiny black. I removed the tyres, as I was cleaning them I had a long look at the rear rim, then spun it up and noticed a slight buckle.

B*stard.

I then found another F3 rear not far away in Rotherham, did a cash deal and it's a minter. I removed the rear wheel from the Nail and offered up the new wheel with Honda sprocket  carrier and the disc from the Nail.

Too wide.

By a lot.

B*stard.

A dose of looking at and the relieving of some Honda casting (angle grinder) sees the F3 wheel in position and all lined up. A 3mm spacer on the caliper side and the everything is hunkydory.

The front was always going to be more of a challenge, the Nail uses 25mm I'd bearings and a 25mm od spindle, Honda 20mm spindle and bearings.

More looking at. Then measuring. Then remove the front wheel and discover that the F3 wheel with discs on is too wide to fit between the forks let alone the calipers.

B*stard.

The Honda discs have a 17mm offset (dish), so muggins thinks just fit some zero offset discs. None exist in the correct combination of od, center bore, pcd or bolt holes. Telephone number quotes are then given for custom discs.

B*stard.

More digging reveals that Cagiva fitted front discs from the VFR 750. Mmm. Digging reveals that Honda fitted that VFR with 16" wheels. Tw*ts. More digging then leads me to the CBR600 F2 front wheel. Same disc pcd, same bore diameter, same size bolts as the Cagiva but smaller disc. No worries Cagiva discs will bolt straight on.

Back to e-bay, the only decent front is part of a pair that the seller won't split but he does accept a low offer. The wheels arrive, both straight though I only need the front. I remove the front wheel from the Cagiva, take the discs off and they bolt straight on.

I dance.

I then offered the wheel up to the forks, you guessed it too wide. By 16mm. No b*stard this time as I knew they would be. By this time I'd decided to use the Cagiva spindle by sourcing larger inside diameter bearings, unfortunately these bearings are also 3mm narrower so I fitted 2 on one side and had the other side machined out to accept the standard sized bearing. I had the disc mounting posts machined by 8mm on each side and the counter sinking for the disc bolts increased.

Nearly there.

Last week was a good week. We weren't too busy at work, we have job and knock (when your drops are done, you go home but still get paid for the full shift) and I finished at lunchtime on a couple of days. I removed both wheels and did a full mock up. The rear was straight forward, the front needed a bit of adjustment but everthing lined up. I'd briefly considered powder coating the wheels but realised that I couldn't be a*sed with waiting, so rattle can it was. I removed the rear tyre from the Cagiva wheel, fitted it to the Honda wheel but then masked and painted before blowing it up. The new front tyre arrived on Friday, yesterday I fitted the tyre, rubbed down the wheel, masked and primed it. The primer went mental, reacting to whatever was on there before so I rubbed it down again, it was better but by now I was beyond caring. I blew up both tyres, fitted both wheels and decided that the colour looked OK.

This brings us to this afternoon, I decided to go for a quick spin. My first impression was utter astonishment when I turned into the first corner, the steering is so light and direct. It tips in so easily and just stays there. Stunning. No head shake, riding with no hands the 'bike is rock steady and doesn't wander.

I'm happy.

The gearing needs changing at some point, the Honda sprocket carrier came with a brand new 43t JT sprocket, the Cagiva has a 41t.

Some pics

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Wheel swap FINALLY finished.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 20:24:23 »
 :clap: Braver man than me.

Needed me to fix your pictures though :neen:

Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 20:30:14 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nice! Enjoy the new wheels -and wheelies, till new rear sprocket time.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 20:30:32 »
Martin.xxx
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 21:01:15 »
 :thumb: well done that man  :bow-blue:
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 23:05:32 »
Is that gravel on the road or have some more bits fallen off  lol

Seriously that's a good job mate  :thumb:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 23:21:25 »
Good bit of  :fix: there TLP  :thumb: and an interesting &  lol write up .
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 09:37:30 »
Looking good tlp... :thumb:

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 10:12:00 »
Not sure I didn't prefer the others, now...just bob 'em back on again for comparison, there's a good chap.

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 13:14:31 »
 lol

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 14:35:46 »
Nice work. Is there anything left of the bike that if left the factory with?

BTW, I've just put a bigger motor on the skateboard we worked on last year :D it's not quite finished yet

Offline TLPower

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 16:09:14 »
Firstly thank you all so much for the kind words. You taking the time to read my ramblings and commenting makes it all worth while. :)

However in order of insult/questions.

1. It's gravel. Ha, ha. I totally understand your confusion, it has form. You didn't mention Beecher's Brook, our new fence made entirely from Bucket sticks.
2. The original wheels will go straight back on if needed. I hope they won't be, but thank you for your concern Rusty.xx
3. That is an excellent question Bigpie, though easy enough to answer. The frame, the engine, the front forks and the rear shock. Trigger's broom.

How lethal is the skate board? The answer to your next question is no, I won't try it out.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 19:56:16 »
Fairly lethal to be fair, the chain comes off a lot. I'm going to fudge together a chain tensioner.
How did you start with finding suitable wheels? It could be fun to put some road wheels on the KTM. Although I've got a project list longer than my arm and no time to do it, I'm always on the look out for something else to faff with.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 20:00:41 »
 :thumb: looking good!
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 20:05:31 »
Bigpie I started off believing it was easy. I read and believed the internet.

Idiot.

This is what started it all.http://cagivaonline.free.fr/index.php?mod=forum&ac=voir&cat=7&id=3359

I have a (vast) selection of wheels you can try.

Cheers Mick.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 21:24:59 »
looks really nice with the new wheels :thumb:

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 21:26:17 »
Top job    :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂