Author Topic: The moaning old git thread  (Read 323714 times)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: The moaning old git thread
« Reply #2100 on: March 23, 2018, 18:52:09 »
All encompassing phrase of 'verbally abusing' someone.......... :icon_exclaim:

I had to look up what that entailed (yes, I've been somewhere else for 20+ years) and I was surprised to to see you can forcefully criticise or insult someone or denounce what they say. So what's different? The answer is it now has to sound like you have to be assaulted so you can be prosecuted for such action....no?

We have always been likely to enter into a dispute or exchange of views but the phrase has a certain ring of physical involvement which isn't true and shouldn't be expressed that way.

Off my  :dl_soapbox: now...........

Where's that 'taste abusing' liquid gone....?    :smirk:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #2101 on: March 24, 2018, 21:42:55 »
Having been to the Isle of Man TT about 25 times, I decided to give it a miss last year, the place just didn’t feel the same anymore, too ‘sanitised’, too ‘professional’, it was trying too much to be like all the other big motorsports events.
It’s been heading that way for a while, but I think it’s the ‘TV effect’ that’s really pushed it over the cliff for me. Taking the TT into the living room of the masses has been great for it’s profile, but the trade off has totally ruined the Spirit of the TT for me.
I didn’t miss it at all last year, but, thought I’d check the website out, idly considering a return (if only to sup Bushys beer again in the Rovers Return).
Now maybe it’s me, but nowhere on the website can I find a race schedule.. I can find Hospitality offers & merchandise galore, but nowt about the races. Are they bothering this year.?
Or is that no longer necessary.?
Wahey.. get rid of the paddock and there’s more space to sell tat..
Guess I’ll not bother this year either.
#soldoutt ????

Offline SuzukiSte

Bike road Tax
« Reply #2102 on: April 25, 2018, 19:18:09 »
 :dl_soapbox: Got my Bike Tax Reminder last week 6 months = £46.75p
12 Months = £85.00p
so went on line today to tax it for 12 months and its now £88.00p a year its a 650cc everything just costing more every year for us Bikers 6 Months is £48 Rant over. :dl_smiley_banghead:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2103 on: June 09, 2018, 17:11:38 »
Modern vehicles and their electrickery, they are making Mechanics lazy  :dl_soapbox:

The Ratmobile suffered a breakdown, actually it wasn't as dramatic as that. Dragonlady brought the Motorhome out to get it ready for our Scotland trip a week or so ago and there was a selection of warning lights on the dash  :shrug:

According to the manual the problem was ABS related. I called the AA, hoping it would be a simple electronic reset, AA man arrives, not a spanner in sight. Diagnostic device plugged into the van and....

"It's something to do with your ABS mate"   :violence-smack: No investigation, no lifting the bonnet just some friendly advice to take it to a Fiat dealer.

I start ringing around, bear in mind this is a vehicle that cost close to £60,000 and was a year old  :shock: the best the big Fiat dealers could do was fit me in in eight weeks  :dl_smiley_banghead:

I called a small local dealer (some benefit of living in a one horse town), they agreed, with some pleading to fit me in in a few days time  :lala: The day arrives, because of the fault the van is in limp mode, no speedo and very limited acceleration (not good in a 28 foot vehicle), anyway, I get it to the dealer, I then watch him plug his diagnostic device in and.....

"It's something to do with your ABS mate"

For the love of Jebus  :icon_batterup: I then have to limp the van back home, I hadn't realised that the appointment they had given me was just to diagnose (or not)  :bawl: A new appointment was made for the following week (meaning our Scotland trip was cancelled).

Same drama, limped the van back to the dealer and drop it off. A couple of hours later they call me to say it is fixed  :shock: :shock:

It turns out that a connector had come loose  :dl_smiley_banghead:

With all the bloody technology today, the skills of a Mechanic seem to now be dictated by an electronic diagnostic machine, why couldn't the AA man have investigated, why couldn't the Fiat dealer have done a basic inspection during our first visit, why, why, why   :dl_hyperhysteria:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #2104 on: June 09, 2018, 17:24:41 »
Sorry to hear of your pain FR.
I agree mechaincs are becoming less skilled, possibilly disinterested due to the nature of modern cages?
Its worth disconnecting / reconnecting cable connections yourself sometimes (ignition off) - I also bought my own little plug in machine, worst case I can press the reset to get me by...one can but try...  :roll:
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #2105 on: June 11, 2018, 15:08:59 »
I train them! Any under 30 go straight for the computer and miss the obvious mechanical stuff.  They also mess about with ****y universal OBD readers when the manufacturers are waging a constant battle to stop them. OBD say open circuit on connector X, you get out a multimeter and start chasing the loom back. Simple.

Good news is that remote diagnostics are less than a year away, at least on my stuff. Why deal with the local dealers thread stripper and oil level misaguster when a nice Chinese lady who deals with the same system every day can use the thick-thick fitter as a robot. The app takes you through the loom tracing process, which is where all the work is, you need a photo of every plug and a map of where it is.

Andy

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #2106 on: June 11, 2018, 15:11:10 »
And there is no such thing as a reset.

You are simply clearing the error memory. Its like parking the van with the nail nearest the road and reinflating the tyre.

Andy

Offline ggreen1959

• Bike: DL650 K5, 1998 VTR Firestorm, 1977 RD250D
« Reply #2107 on: June 11, 2018, 15:18:54 »
It's quite useful however if you have a component near its limits to extend the time to the inevitable day of having replacing it!

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2108 on: July 31, 2018, 11:53:39 »
Easyjet and their "Serious Illness" clause.

I booked two flights around two months in advance and then a week before we should be going my Wife smashes her Leg and Ankle after some genetic clumsiness involving a push bike and 2 mph.

As a result she now has screws, plates and a monster great cast. She isn't allowed to be weight bearing on the leg for a minimum of six weeks, is not allowed to fly or work and has to keep it "above heart height as much as possible".

I phoned Easyjet to ask for a reschedule and they politely told me we couldn't do that as she wasn't dead, or likely to be dead before it rained next.

So, we lose all the money or pay their £47/person/flight rebooking fee, which by coincidence is pretty much what the flights cost in the first place.

What would they have done had we turned up for the flight and they couldn't let us on the plane?

Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2109 on: July 31, 2018, 21:04:22 »
Setting aside the dire customer service offered by easy thingy I do hope you poor wife makes as swift and pain free a recovery as is possible.   :icon_crutch:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #2110 on: July 31, 2018, 21:59:38 »
Thanks Dave. Hopefully we get a smaller cast tomorrow.

I didn't ever cancel the flights. I wasn't going to let them book someone else in my seats for the "short notice, triple the normal cost" type of deal.

I did get the Tax back easily though, they didn't have a choice there.

Chief Stasi

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2111 on: August 01, 2018, 09:40:38 »
 Sorry to hear your wife got hurt and hope the recovery goes well.
Have you got holiday insurance? Maybe you could claim on that to recover your money?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #2112 on: August 01, 2018, 15:30:07 »
Thanks Mick, but it was just a flight. Bristol to Edinburgh.

At least if you miss a Ryanair flight it only cost 56p and a farthing in the first place.

Chief Stasi

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #2113 on: August 18, 2018, 19:45:49 »
OK, I'm moving on from Easyjet to Amazon.

Prime Membership - now I understand that they want to get you to pay up front for free postage that you may not use and to get access to an online download service.

But I am also seeing items for sale on the site where down in the small print it says ..... "This item is exclusively for Prime members" ..... so you cannot even buy it and pay postage.

Chief Stasi

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #2114 on: August 18, 2018, 19:58:46 »
We have Amazon Prime Martin, what would you like that is soooo special?
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #2115 on: August 19, 2018, 09:35:08 »
Thanks TLP, I got what I needed from town yesterday.  :thumb:

Chief Stasi

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2116 on: September 13, 2018, 18:50:43 »
Spelling, again. Spelling by people being paid to get it right. And doubtless using technology with built-in ways of checking spelling before fobbing the finished product off on an equally illiterate client. Just a couple of local examples below of things that should never have got past some sort of proof stage and should have been rejected by clients on delivery.

Offline S2Rgar

• Bike: DL1000 L9 Black - DL650 AL5 Red (SOLD) - DL650 AL3 Grey (SOLD) Suzuki GSX-S1000
« Reply #2117 on: September 13, 2018, 20:02:20 »
Phoned Carole Nash to remove my Glee from my policy now that it's sold.

"That'll be a rebate of £34.94" she tells me..... result  :thumb:

"wait a minute... there's a broker fee of £34.94 for this mid term change" she adds  lol

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #2118 on: September 13, 2018, 20:27:29 »
lol what a coincidence

Chief Stasi

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #2119 on: September 13, 2018, 20:30:39 »
RN, it's down to just simple speech without care with spelling, hence the problems with there're, there, their..... to, too......etc.

Another forum I use tells us not to highlight or correct other postings because......... What 'because'?  :dl_smiley_banghead:

We're a dying breed.
So how's it going so far then?