Author Topic: Africa Twin rider today  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
Africa Twin rider today
« on: March 12, 2018, 23:01:31 »
There I was at work travelling towards the Blackwall Tunnel in very slow moving rush hour traffic when a Twin filtered past me in no great rush. He then tried to squeeze in between a HGV and a car, he obviously misjudged the gap and brushed against the HGV causing him to lose control, he bounced of the lorry and car like a pinball before going in front of the lorry and ending up in the car in front.
Luckily the lorry driver was looking in his mirror and brakes immediately the incident started. A bit of damage to the bike clutch lever and hand guard bent, bar riser bent and a few minor scratches to the bike. The rider was OK apart from sore wrists but very embarrassed.
I think his missus will be ripping him a new one when he gets home if the conversation with I heard over the phone was anything to go by

He was going ride to Maidstone but was advised against it by the ambulance service ... He still insisted he would but I persuaded him not to because I might be forced to prohibit his bike due to he damage  :shy: .... He was in too much pain to ride and his handlebar was not straight due to the bar riser damage anyway.
It still does amaze me why some people insist on trying to go through gaps the you can see are small.

Still no one died and he has learnt a lesson.
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Africa Twin rider today
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 23:19:07 »
Lucky him & glad he was OK. I really don't like filtering down the side of lorries unless the gap is very wide

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:24:45 »
  With luck he will have learnt from this, any manouvre in traffic is a potential danger imo, your putting yourself at the mercy of others.
 Filtering, whilst a great time saver,does require you to be commited to your move with few ways out if it goes wrong.

Offline boosabuser

• Bike: 2014 Strom, CZ125 resto
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:47 »
Never liked filtering, I fully understand the benefits, progress etc but personally I feel the risk is too great sometimes, especially where HGV's are involved

Just watching Royal Jordanian on YT slicing through West end traffic is a great cure for incontinence

Saying that, I rarely get Involved in traffic on the  Strom, so I am well out of practice but I hate seeing the aftermath of it going wrong from the van

Stay Safe Peeps I just saw a (small) bit of blue sky in Stevenage, spring  is here

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 15:40:33 »
The only bit of what he did that was sensible was that he was going to Maidstone in the first place.
 :thumb:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 17:51:58 »
Filtering is a must in London otherwise buy car and and add to the traffic or join the rest of the ripped off daily London transport commuter's.
There is a couple of choices for me and it isn't trains or cars in London. I'd rather risk filtering on a motorcycle or push bike any day of the week.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 18:09:57 »
 :text-goodpost:

Started my working life in Reading and filtering on me DT50 was a must, otherwise walk lol.
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:50:06 »
I have to Filter there are traffic lights all the way going to work, would never get there if I waited with the cars. :thumb:

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:24:11 »
Spent a fair few years commuting up and down the A13 into and out of London, never minded it in the dry, but hated it when it was dark and raining.

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:32:56 »
I ended up filtering between a couple of trucks yesterday......made me a bit nervous although both trucks, and all surrounding traffic, was at a standstill. (And I'm pretty sure they were both aware of me and had left a "tidy" gap). I rarely ride in heavy traffic - maybe I need more practice  :smirk: :smirk:

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 18:14:04 »
<snip>It still does amaze me why some people insist on trying to go through gaps the you can see are small
You've never tried pushing into a gap that initially appears small...? :shy: