Author Topic: Wheel bearing puller  (Read 1833 times)

Online porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Wheel bearing puller
« on: July 17, 2018, 19:11:06 »
Hello. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced wheel bearing puller?  I did do a search but no joy. My 2014 1000 has done its rear bearings in. Tried the old screwdriver and hammer method but no joy and don't want to wreck the wheel.

Offline Mudster

• Bike: Honda PCX125 and DL1000 K3
Re: Wheel bearing puller
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 19:33:10 »
I was looking at the Sealey AK716 set. Not cheap though and I can't really justify it for the use I would get.

It would also do the rear suspension bearings. Hmm. Maybe I could get it past the domestic management if I could think of further uses I.e. demonstrate additional cost savings.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 19:36:39 »
I watched a video on YouTube and the chap had a set like the one below. It looked easy to use but I confess I haven't got one of these myself to give an informed opinion. It covers 11mm to 32mm bore bearings. At £20 It may be worth a punt? The sealey ones are bloody expensive!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Online porter

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 20:36:23 »
Thanks tallpaul. I just ordered one we'll see if it works! I'll report back in a few days.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 20:47:03 »
Splendid stuff.  :thumb:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 22:31:21 »
I bought one similar to that. Worked a treat when I figured out how to use it properly  :fix:

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:21:04 »
Washing machine drum bearings?
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mudster

• Bike: Honda PCX125 and DL1000 K3
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 18:48:29 »
Thanks tallpaul. I just ordered one we'll see if it works! I'll report back in a few days.

Would be interested as I could justify that sort of cost. Let us know the range of diameters it can cover.  :thumb:

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:02:37 »
I bought a purpose made puller but it wasn't fit for purpose... so, I tightened a Rawlbolt into the bearing and beat it out with a hammer. It works a treat.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 20:29:48 »
I’ve had mixed results with that type of puller, it won’t touch the sides on rusted in bearings, usually weaken them with a Dremel  first.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 21:01:39 »
That type of puller works on the inner race of the bearing. If you attack it with a dremmel then that puller will not work at all. I've used a dremmel on the inner race of steering head bearings and they work a treat, but that is a different application.

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 01:08:53 »
you're not wrong , however when welded in with rust the inner race can separate/ pull through when pulled enthusiastically with those, hence the dremel to loosen the  stubborn outer race. So apologies dremel second not first!

Offline Ozbass

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 08:03:17 »
 :fix: I have always used the hammer and very large screwdriver to take out the bearings. With the wheel on its side insert the screwdriver through the top bearing and push the spacer aside. You can then see the inner lip of the other bearing. A series of gentle to moderate taps will soon see the bearing on the floor along with the spacer. Flip the rim over and you will see the other bearing. Remove the same way. Most times there is no circlip to remove. New bearings should have "seals" on both sides to stop water ingrestion. You may have to specifically ask for the double sided sealed bearings. Pick out the seal on 1 side and fill with new good quality waterproof grease using your finger in a rotary motion. Reinstall seal using fingers in a rotary motion. Using a socket that is slightly smaller smaller than the overall size of the bearing gently tap the bearing into place until it bottoms out. You will hear the different sound when it reaches the bottom. Flip the rim over, insert the spacer then the other bearing. Gently tapping the bearing into the housing making sure it goes in Square. Then using a socket gently tap the bearing all the way until it bottoms out. Never had a bearing failure ever in 45yrs of riding using this method IMHO.

Online porter

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 09:10:47 »
I got the puller yesterday.  It worked OK, well on the wheel anyway.  The wheel bearing is 28 mm inside diameter and the largest tool covers 28-32mm.  Took the bearings out OK, a wee bit of heat helped but wouldn't move the sprocket bearing at all. Its 32mm inside.  The tool collar fitted but was too spread out to grip the inner bearing well enough.  Took it out with the hammer.
I normally used the screwdriver hammer method for years but the veeks rear wheel is tight, there is not much movement in the inner spacer to get a good hit on the bearing.  And I've really only the use of one arm so was only a matter of time till I hit my bad hand with the hammer or worse hit the wheel! So the tool pictured above works, if you can't get a bearing out the normal way try one of these.  Cheers to all

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 12:01:18 »
A bit late now but a must read for those who may need a bearing tool: https://www.instructables.com/id/2-Motorcycle-Wheel-Bearing-Puller/ - $2 MOTORCYCLE WHEEL BEARING PULLER