Author Topic: Cosmo centre stand  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Pablodrugsmule

• Bike: DL650 L0
Cosmo centre stand
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:46:56 »
I'm aware many people have praised the centre stand from Cosmo but before I part with my cash, can anyone confirm it fits my L0 model with the gen Suzuki bash plate? I don't want to get it and find it won't just bolt on or needs modification. I had a search but couldn't find any posts answering this, planning to service it soon which would be a lot easier with a centre stand. Failing an answer about the Cosmo stand, would the Heed one fit with the bash plate and no modification?

My bike has been lowered and I noticed a few people mentioned grounding out on the centre stand, the previous owner dropped the front about 1.5" maybe 2 and fitted links on the back to lower it, he was about 4" shorter than me so I plan to fit the original dog bones but leave the front as is. Presumably it should be fine for clearance after I fit them?

Cheers

Offline greywolf

Re: Cosmo centre stand
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 15:28:24 »
You can't lower the front that much unless the fork travel is limited somehow. 10-15mm is the sweet spot. The fork tubes can't even be raised much higher than 21mm without running into the handlebar unless that is moved. If you have a front fork brace, a very good idea, the limit is about 10mm before the brace hits the brake lines or junction under the lower triple clamp. Make sure the rear shock hasn't had its travel limited to accommodate the lowering.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Pablodrugsmule

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 17:08:26 »
My mistake its more like 15 millimetres, no fork brace on mine, maybe in the future. The bike had a Hagon shock fitted not long before I bought it, got the tool so I'll check it when I fit the original dog bones thanks.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 22:42:02 »
Subject to being able to fit a centre stand of your choice, I think you'll find it much harder to get a lowered bike on and off the centre stand.  I fitted lowering links to my MT09 Tracer and it took right 'heave ho' and is not something to be done up hill. 
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 13:35:15 »
Am considering one of the Cosmo jobbies myself.
I have a Motech bash Plate and noticed when fitting that, there's plenty of space for the centre stand.
 I would imagine most, if not all bash plates, (especially a genuine Suzuki one) will have been designed with the stands in mind.
Get one, if it doesn't fit I'll buy it from you at a vastly reduced price. ????
As far as lifting a lowered bike, logic alone suggests you'll have less leverage when placing the bike on the main stand, but I bet most cope quite adequately except in rare circumstances.

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 16:24:38 »
When I had my bike lowered I had the centre stand cut down. I've now put the bike back to standard and fitted another centre stand.
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline Pablodrugsmule

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 19:13:35 »
Just ordered one so I guess I'll find out, hopefully it fits as I had a look and it does seem like there's a decent amount of space, £104 but I don't know if using paypal made it slightly more buying something in euros? Used the forum discount  :thumb:.

Offline Pablodrugsmule

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:04:34 »
Fitted this today, took a bit over a week to arrive in perfect condition, fitting was very easy and the bash plate provided no problems at all. The one problem now is that I gave up trying to get it on the stand because as you all said it was rather difficult and I would rather wait for a hand than try and injure myself, I expect the brick driveway wasn't helping as it just slipped. once I have it up I'll swap the old dog bones back on and hopefully I can put it on the stand by myself. Item itself looks well made and sturdy so I can see why so many recommend it, should make my maintenance much easier.

Offline AlanT

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:39 »
It's not too difficult, just a matter of technique.

My method, is to stand on the left side of the bike, hold the bike upright with left hand on the handlebar, right hand on the grab rail, push the stand with left foot until it touches the ground (which makes everything stable) then I put my full weight onto the stand by lifting my right leg off the ground. That creates a 'rolling' action which lifts the bike onto the stand.

Difficult to describe but simple in practice. You use your weight to 'roll' the bike onto the stand rather than lifting it.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 17:19:25 »
Yeah that's what I do, I just make sure both feet of the centre stand are down first

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 18:39:30 »
 :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline AlanT

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 19:19:46 »

Absolutely, the 2 x feet on the stand and the wheels make the whole thing stable.

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 19:50:11 »
The important bit to remember is that you don't try to pull the bike with your arms - that WILL end in tears - your hands are really only to keep the bike stable while most of the effort goes in via your foot (I use my right foot) and you use your body weight as described to complete the action. Do not jerk/snatch the bike, it requires a smooth action or you will hurt yourself.
If you know anyone who regularly uses a centre stand then swallow some pride and ask for a demo - I have said this many times on a forum and I'll say it many more times... I didn't have a clue how to get my Honda CB100 on a stand until an old bloke of about 70/80 showed me how to do it. That was after he stopped wetting himself laughing at me. I was 17 at the time and in that brief moment I learned what the word "Respect" actually meant!

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 20:15:00 »
I don't really know how to take it off the stand...

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 20:37:30 »
Paul,  I find it more difficult!!  My method is side stand out,  left hand on bar,  right on grab rail and push/pull until the rear wheel hits the ground then pull towards me onto the side stand. This is really necessary (for me anyway)  when got luggage on and just filled with fuel!  Have tried to climb aboard when on centre stand and rock it off but don't like doing that!   :)
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Pablodrugsmule

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 22:25:12 »
Thanks for the replies, I do use the method above as I was trained to when doing my test. I had a centre stand on my fazer too but that was lower and about 30kgs lighter, as I said our drive is smooth bricks so it slides easily which could end badly and it being lowered won't help. Have to sort it when I'm off.

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 22:31:00 »
The only way to stop the stand sliding would be to get your boot on the stand and the brick at the same time, this will stop the bike sliding backwards - I have the same problem when I put my bike on the metal bike bench.
Just be careful. Maybe best to practice on tarmac until you're confident and then try it on your driveway.

Offline bronto

• Bike: DL650 XT L7
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:33 »
I just bought one, not put it on yet but it arrived really quickly and it's Greek (apparently). I'll let you know how easy it is to fit.