Author Topic: Zip Merging  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Rich:-)

Re: Zip Merging
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 12:55:03 »
Next time your mum fastens your anorak,  watch the zip. The teeth merge alternately all the way along, not right at the end.

So the real world equivalent of that scenario would be the road block moving down the road and the cars are all stationary.... and the jibe about my mum fastening it for me suggests you are upset, which is one of the many stages of acceptance to new & challenging ideas... it means your on your way to accepting it. :)

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 13:23:47 »
Not upset at all, enjoying myself. I've got loads of time to text, I'm stuck in the left lane and the right's merging in.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 13:47:23 »
lol  :icon_wink:

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 14:05:31 »
That's me done. Greywolf, Barbel Mick, feel free to rejoin. The rest of you, go polish your Audis.
( where's the mic drop emoji?)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 14:55:02 »
I noticed curious behavious the other day on the two lane peripherique around Caen. Long before the junction I wanted to exit by all the traffic leaving at the same junction started queuing on the hard shoulder leaving both lanes free for traffic to pass freely and continue around the peripherique unhindered. I've seen this before on the Nantes peripherique too. Now that's something I admire, anticipation by the French but yes there were a few taking advantage and joining the queue at the last possible moment although no-one got upset about it.......  :icon_wink:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 16:06:18 »
Extract from Highway Code
Rule 288 Roadworks
•Where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134)

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Just sayin'

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 17:22:01 »
I can't agree or understand why you would leave merging 'till the last minute. If you do it in turn from when you are notified the vehicles in the lane you want to get into will still be a decent distance apart therefore making merging a continuous flow. If you wait 'till the end of the blocked lane the vehicles in the lane you need to move into will have naturally slowed more than the set speed limit therefore will be closer together and making it more difficult to merge. Any vehicle wishing to let you in will have to slow even more causing the vehicles behind to brake and slow eventually coming to a stand still. Then all vehicles in all lanes will be travelling at a very slow speed/crawl and much too close for a vehicle to move into therefore having to stop to let a vehicle in, causing even more tailback! If the merging is done way back from the blocked lane traffic will continue to move.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 17:31:48 »
I suppose that depends how busy the road is. Most merge situations I find myself in, the weight of traffic has already caused a tailback and all vehicle are already either shuffling a lot or are stopping & starting.

The occasional ones with only light traffic aren't worth worrying about as the impact is low either way.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 20:17:49 »
Although I now understand the apparent arrogance of traffic hurtling to the end of the lane and expecting to be let in. I think barbel Mick makes sense so I will continue to be British and queue. :thumb:

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 11:47:52 »
Cheers Timmo..... long time since anybody said I make sense!!!  :) I'll let you in when your trying to merge any time!  :thumb:
Rich, in light traffic I suppose zip merging happens naturally and nobody takes any notice, however in heavier  traffic, where it is still moving, I would suggest that if drivers took this into consideration and merged earlier then the queue might not be quite so long and may even move a little quicker due to the fact that the front of the line of traffic in the lane that is open does not have to slow to allow vehicles in. 800 or so yards down the road, or wherever the first signage is, everybody merge in turn and move along at a steady pace after that.
I will admit though, that due to the sheer volume of traffic on our roads, particularly motorways, this is almost impossible to do.
I will still abuse the drivers who hurtle down the empty lane to the front when the rest of us are doing our bit to be polite!  :grin:   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 14:02:37 »
Yes... I have no doubt that gradually merging over a short stretch of road would result in a better flow of traffic but it won't work in heavy traffic. It would take a hell of a lot more cooperation and synchronization to get a whole line of traffic to merge equally along a short length, much more than it does to just merge at a fixed point.

Once traffic flow at normal speed has ceased there is no advantage to using a gradual merge, it's just adding complexity. The main emphasis should then be placed on ensuring that both lanes flow at an equal rate - Zip Merging is the simplest method to achieve this.

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 16:05:51 »
We're all pretty much at a consensus of how it ought to be done. The only problem lies in the practical aspect.
It ain't going to happen!
Chaos will rule and drivers will still shove and barge while others let people into the lane.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 18:34:08 »
Best country I have driven in for drivers just getting on with it and having a like minded understanding was Albania, believe it or not.

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 18:39:50 »
Interesting thread.

Not an issue for me though. I don't own a car, so I'll just keep doing the filter/merging thing I've always done.????
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline Sasquatch

• Bike: DL650GT K9
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 00:12:33 »
Zipper merge makes sense only in heavy traffic, and is deemed safe in sub 30mph speeds. Drive trough Germany and you will see it done even at 50-60mph, higher the speed earlier merge happens, usually 50-150 meters before cones. At first lane closure warning lanes match speeds, 150-50 meters from cones lanes merge in turns, gaps are gradually build much earlier. Merging near the end halves queue length, therefore minimises risk of a queue on one road blocking junctions and more roads. And both lanes move at the same speed so risk of crashes drops too.

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 19:07:37 »
Had a nasty 'Zip Merging' incident when I was a kid, thankfully I managed to 'escape' without a visit to A&E.
Still makes my eyes water when I think about it though.  :shock:

When in a car I'm usually polite, on a bike I always head straight to the front of any queue, and I'm always mystified when I see a bike sat in traffic.  :shrug:
Don't know about Albania, but I was in Azerbaijan recently and it's a completely free for all, drivers swapping lanes, inventing new ones, yet nobody seems bothered.
Strangely however, the vehicle ten cars back at the lights always honks his horn immediately the lights turn green, highly amusing.. for ten minutes.

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 05:54:25 »
By the time I get anywhere near a lane closure the queue is already 2 or 3 miles long. Our roads are so congested it isn't possible to 'zip merge' at speeds of 30+ mph for very long.
As I am usually driving an articulated lorry I tend to stick to the left lane and just calmly make progress. I let other drivers join my lane 'in turn' - I may let more than one car in front of me if they're being polite, if someone is being pushy and trying to barge in I might make it difficult for them but I usually let them in eventually. I often call certain drivers "Twits" or similar especially when I see them tapping into their phones on facebook to say they're stuck in a jam.
When I'm on a bike I avoid roads with more than one lane because I'm just out for fun. I may travel on a motorway if I'm going on holiday and if a queue occurs I just filter at a pretty slow pace as it's not something I am used to doing.

Offline In me shed

• Bike: Gleek 650 XT AL6, BMW R1100RS, KH250 Tripple,
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 12:25:33 »
When I'm on a bike I avoid roads with more than one lane because I'm just out for fun. I may travel on a motorway if I'm going on holiday and if a queue occurs I just filter at a pretty slow pace as it's not something I am used to doing.

I try and commute on roads with 2 lanes so I can filter.