Author Topic: Glee windscreen change out feck up.  (Read 2977 times)

Offline FluffiestPond

• The Stigs Welsh Cousin
  • Bike: DL650 - AL3 (Blue)
Glee windscreen change out feck up.
« on: July 01, 2016, 15:29:17 »
Hello Lads, local idiot here!  :fix:

So I bought myself a Givi Airflow AF3010 and it's a beautiful looking piece of kit, except me being a special little  ### I managed to completely screw up the installation.

Somehow the the original rubber (grommets)? that held the original screen in place managed to get pushed through and have fallen somewhere between the headlights, me not being even capable of putting a screen on a bike decided against taking the fairings off to get them back so I bought some of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCREEN-BOLT-KIT-Suzuki-DL650A-V-STROM-11-4-BOLT-BLACK-ALUMINIUM-/301612143661?hash=item46397c142d:g:x~YAAMXQVhFR9hZG

Not the exact listing but something very similar. And well they broke.

So I'm currently left with a bike without a screen. And I'm not sure what to do next so some wisdom would be greatly appreciated, I'd also like to apologise for making bikers everywhere look bad.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Glee windscreen change out feck up.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 15:59:06 »
How many well nuts ( that's what they are )  do you need? Have you checked in the "gills" by the bottom of the radiator? Is there a Halfrauds near you? They sell them. How did the new ones break?

Offline FluffiestPond

• The Stigs Welsh Cousin
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 16:01:17 »
Ah good to have the name, I need 4 of them and I've gone pretty deep into the bike and the only logical place I can't see is just above the headlights and I can't get in there without taking parts off. And the new ones broke by completely splitting in half. And nearest fruadhouse is about 40 mile away

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 16:55:55 »
Yeah I did the same thing a while back. The old well nuts fell into the fairing. I got them back when I took the side panels off (on a wee).
I had spares and the old ones were a bit perished anyway so went in the bin when I did get at them 2 months later.

Ride Coordinator

Offline FluffiestPond

• The Stigs Welsh Cousin
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 17:02:58 »
I think I probably over tightened the new ones causing them to split, it's hard to gauge the amount of pressure you need with something so spongy. I'll try and pick up a new set and try again.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 18:39:39 »
No more than 10Nm for well nuts. Or if old school like me. Just hand tight then a little bit more.

Ride Coordinator

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 18:46:26 »
Anyone near Builth Wells with a few spares in their shed?
They should come out the same way they went in. But if they are still compressed and you need to push them through, poke strimmer line/fishing line through the well nut first. Find the end of the line,  push well nut through, and you won't lose it.