Author Topic: Suspension Tweak  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Graham B

• Bike: DL1000A L6
Suspension Tweak
« on: July 13, 2018, 19:25:59 »
I have been enjoying riding my 2016 V Strom 1000 however the standard suspension settings just seemed too harsh. I could feel every bump on the road. I tried to dial out this harshness but to no avail
 I returned the settings back to standard and softened the rebound on the front by only one click (I.e. 9 clicks from fully in). The result was amazing, now the harshness has totally disappeared.

Offline Griff2

• Bike: DL1000 L6
Re: Suspension Tweak
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 11:54:55 »
I have the same bike. I backed off the compression damping on the forks completely and that helped greatly. I have also backed off the rebound almost completely and that further enhanced the ride at the front. I will add that I generally ride very rough roads hence the settings because I need the suspension to be very plush. However if I were to use the bike at very high speeds on bigger roads those settings would not be suitable. 

The shock is OK and so far I see no reason for replacement as I had to do with my former triumph 1200 Explorer on which I replaced the shock with a Wilbers unit.

Offline Valves

• Bike: ex-DL1000A L5 & NT1100A
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 17:56:15 »
I've jut replaced my suspension with a Hyperpro kit - Front still needed backing-off completely to get a smooth ride but the new shock has made the bike feel more stable
You can live more in 5 minutes on a bike... than some people will live in their whole lifetime (Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian)

Offline Dick Allen

• Bike: 2017 v Strom 1000xt plus 3BMWs
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 15:28:36 »
It it worth the money as I have found the rear excitable but don't like the front ????.? I think I may just try progressive springs in the front first !

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 18:46:54 »
The suspension on my 2016 V-Strom has been a revelation. I really didn't expect it to be so good and so easy to find suitable settings. I ride mostly on Scottish Highland roads and 95% of the time it's exactly how I like it - firm. It's probably a bit too firm for really bad surfaces but I can live with it as on most of the roads I ride it's superb.

Offline Valves

• Bike: ex-DL1000A L5 & NT1100A
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 21:51:48 »
It it worth the money as I have found the rear excitable but don't like the front ????.? I think I may just try progressive springs in the front first !

I have to say that the progressive springs in the front have not made much difference - the shock has and that is where the most cost is...
You can live more in 5 minutes on a bike... than some people will live in their whole lifetime (Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian)