Author Topic: Tyres, Luggage and T.R.E.  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Toast

• Bike: DL1000
Tyres, Luggage and T.R.E.
« on: June 04, 2018, 19:07:32 »
Just fitted Avon Storms 3D XM's, which I've previously fitted to both my Blackbird and Diversion, and they seems to be well bedded in well now with 350 miles done; grip is good, seem to catch themselves well after gravel excursions and well-flooded lanes. Mileage to follow - don't hold your breath. Previously also used almost the entire range of Bridgestones - 020, 021 (not so hot), 023 (good), T30 & T30 Evo (T30 evo's are amazing) but this is for my touring-focused bike and I was after mileage which Avons gave me in spades on the Diversion & Blackbird. Good kit.
Having had enough of the tetchy locks and tiny capacity of my Original Equipment luggage I have fitted the Givi 3-box rack with the quick-release side bars. Bliss. I have used Givi for many, many years on over a dozen bikes and it's far better than the O.E. Suzuki supply or even the stuff on my wife's previous Z1000SX, also tiny capacity with nasty locks. Also recommended!
I don't like my bike to be a nanny bike - so I've just had a T.R.E. fitted to tell my bike lies; apparently, it tells the bike's computer that I'm always in 4th gear and therefore it offers full power not retarded-ignition reduced power in some gears (possibly for safety reasons)... Doesn't affect the stability control which was flashing away like a loonie on my local gravel-strewn country lanes where I live. Highly Recommended for the competent riders.
How many safety nets do I need? ABS - Traction Control, Nanny power cutting? No, the ABS, OK, the traction control, OK, with selectable levels or off, OK, but power control in certain gears? No thanks. Hence the £90 TRE. And it has made a difference, there is a noticeable punch in lower & higher gears. I'm 61, I think I know how much power to dial in... and, there's always the TC & ABS to catch me if I fail in my frail dotage...
Now, if I could just make it more stable & aerodynamic over the ton (I know, "it's not designed for that" before anyone chimes in) as both Dookitty and BMwobbleyou have managed with their 'adventure bikes' - but why would I pay all that silly money for one of them? Especially, when I'm an ageing fossil on a pension... Anyway, it's always fun being the underdog... and passing them...
Have fun.  :thumb:
The Mind is willing, but the body is past use-by date

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Tyres, Luggage and T.R.E.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 19:38:47 »
   Good to see you fettling and improving the bike, the tre does work well set in 4th gear I find, if you really want to help it pick up it's skirts a decat pipe and power commander makes the best power gains, with an end can if you like the sound, I'm now running mine with the stock end can and loose a little up top, but for touring it's much quieter.

Offline porter

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:43:43 »
I think the tre works better in 5th gear.  As for the stability over the ton I've not really found anything to help much, they do move about a bit!  Maybe the hyperpro rear spring helped the rear from sitting down and the pilot road 4's with grip but its never going to feel planted that's for sure.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:08:46 »
   4th gear is the one that is unrestricted, 5th and 6th are restricted at the night end.