Author Topic: Rough running when hot!  (Read 1629 times)

Offline LittleJohn4748

• Bike: 2009 Suzuki DL1000GT
Rough running when hot!
« on: July 15, 2018, 20:40:45 »
Hello.
I have an unusual problem with my bike and have searched the forum but unable to find any one that has encountered the same problem.
The bike is a 2009 DL1000GT and when I bought it last September I had the usual coughs and splutters under 3K revs.
I have fitted a Healtech F1 Tuner with a map from Healtech. The bike has new plugs and I have had the throttle bodies synchronised.
It also has Beowulf cans with link pipes and has baffles in the pipes. The baffles supplied by Beowulf left the bike still too noisy so I fitted some slightly more restrictive ones and it is now fine. I would add that the bike is no different with the standard cans fitted.
The map from Healtech takes account of the aftermarket pipes.
Having done all that as well as replace the front intake boot which had come adrift the bike is a lot better.
It is a long way from perfect but is a lot better.
As a side it is my opinion the Suzuki should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a bike with such dreadful feulling but that is another topic.
My problems is now that when riding the bike is OK as long as the temperature gauge reads 2 bars or less but as soon as I hit traffic, and in Britain that is quite regular, and the temperature gauge moves to 3 bars the bike runs noticeably
rougher and at low revs is as bad as it was before the F1 Tuner was fitted. As soon as I start moving at a decent speed and the temp gauge returns to 2 bars it is OK again.

I am not inexperienced and I am 70 years old and have been riding since I was sixteen but this has me completely
baffled and would really appreciate all and any suggestions as to why this occurs.
LittleJohn4748

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Rough running when hot!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 21:18:27 »
The problem with all these aftermarket tuning aids is that to get them to work properly they need to be set up on a rolling road with proper gas analysis. Settings given by the manufacturers are really only approximate at best. My K8 Vee was quite lumpy originally and was improved by fitting a pair of cans and timing retard eliminator (TRE). In spite of the generally held wisdom that Vees suffer lumpy low end running due to weak fuelling to reduce emissions mine has always run rich, which may account for it's lousy fuel consumption. I then fitted a Power Commander with a map that most nearly matched my bike which did improve the fuel consumption slightly, leaned it off a bit but also improved the low end running and the bike will happily chug along in town traffic. Is the Healtech American by any chance as the US Vees did not have oxygen sensors fitted which UK bikes do have, and I had to disconnect mine in accord with the P.Cs map I used. Suggest you check this..

Offline LittleJohn4748

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 22:29:32 »
Thanks for your reply.
The Healtech is American but is sold in the UK and when fitting the device the oxygen sensor is disconnected.
I fully agree that the only way to solve the problem is to have it put on a dyno but I refuse to spend any more money ona bike on which the fuelling, whilst a lot better, is not good.
I appreciate your response but why is the bike noticeably worse when the temp. gauge goes to 3 bars and then OK when back to 2 bars.
The fuelling can't be affected by the increase in engine temperature to that extent can it?

The bottom line for me is that if the solution is not relatively cheap and simple I will sell the lemon and buy a machine that comes from the factory running as it should.
I have really had enough of jerking round town and slipping the clutch!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 22:52:40 »
In a way you've answered the question yourself. If the fuelling gets worse when the engine gets hotter then it looks like the management isn't adjusting things correctly and I suspect it's running over rich. Have you checked all the other serviceable things associated with it e.g. the throttle position sensor? When you disconnected the O2 sensor how did you overcome the FI message coming up on the dash? You can't ignore it. You either have to fit a blanking plug with the appropriate resistor (which I could never find anywhere) or disconnect the appropriate wire going into the ECU itself.

Offline LittleJohn4748

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:33:52 »
I appreciate the logic in what you are saying.
However the bike is not running rich as the symptoms of running rich and lean are different. A bike that is running rich does not pop, band and misfire-it just starts hunting and gets worse until it cuts out.

With regard to eliminating the o2 sensor what you say is correct but when you fit the Healtech F1 tuner they give instructions on the procedure to eliminate the warning light.
I have physically set the TPS and built into the F1 tuner is a TPS adjuster and it is all correct.
The TBS was done by a main dealer and I do appreciate that they are not all good at what they do.
I am not in a position to do the TBS myself as the electronic valves for the tick over have to be shut down whilst the TBS is done and I do not have the gear to do that and do not know a way round it.
The only thing I haven't checked are the coils, leads and plug caps so I will do that when I get round to it but to be honest I have had enough so have really lost interest.

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 13:42:59 »
.. just for completeness -  Check TB seats and vac lines. Had similar symptoms on a PCII'd SV1000S. Was a tiny split in vac lines between TB's. 
If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Offline LittleJohn4748

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 18:33:43 »
Many thanks infidel.
Sounds plausible so first chance I get I will check.
(Unfortunately I have rear wheel bearings and new discs and pads on my car to do first)
I will keep you posted.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 20:39:54 »
Good luck with it LittleJohn, for more ideas there's a discussion on VSRI forum from 2007 , look for a lad called 'Martin's contribution....
https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,4060.0.html

Might be worth a search of that forum
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline LittleJohn4748

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 21:50:09 »
Problem solved permanently!
Sold the lemon and bought a 2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000.
It makes the V Strom look and feel agricultural. Everything is sooo smoth and easy and the power is fabulous.
More comfortable, much more to the gallon and the tank is larger so over 200 miles between filling up.
Comes with ABS, Traction control and loads more for the same money as the DL.

Suzuki have lost a customer who will think very carefully before buying another one all because they couldn't/wouldn't get the the
thing to run properly. Shame really as on the open road and wound up it was OK.

Bye Suzuki.