Author Topic: Which K&N/HiFlo oil filters??  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Bigcats30

• Bike: DL1000 L8
Which K&N/HiFlo oil filters??
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:24:11 »
After reading about the genuine Suzuki oil filters literally rusting away I'm looking to replace with either a K&N or Hiflo filter (as people have recommended)

However no mention of the part no. and the only one I can seem to find is the KN138

So what filter do I need for a DL1000XT L8 (2018).... I have a feeling they are all the same but the K&N site doesn't even have that bike in its list

cheers

Cat
Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die.

Offline Chris

• Bike: Suzuki V Strom 650 2012
Re: Which K&N/HiFlo oil filters??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 14:10:22 »

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 18:40:03 »
The K&N oil filters were made by HiFiltro and the contract for those filters ran out quite some time ago which prompted introduction of the HiFiltro line of racing "RC" filters which are rebranded versions of the same thing.

HF138 = black, HF138C = chrome, HF138RC = black with built in 17mm removal nut and racing wire holes.

The 138 series oil filters are used for all stroms.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 18:56:19 »
HF 138 ... Hiflo. .

In my many years as a motorcycle technician I have I never seen a genuine Suzuki oil filter literally rust away. Quite frankly if you have left an oil filter on there long enough to rust it's clearly a maintenance issue.
For your info all oil filters are pretty much made in the same way with similar internals and painted with a fine black paint.

If you are worried what it looks like paint it with a better paint before fitting .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Bigcats30

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 15:32:23 »
The K&N oil filters were made by HiFiltro

Brilliant thank you

Offline Bigcats30

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 15:33:20 »
In my many years as a motorcycle technician I have I never seen a genuine Suzuki oil filter literally rust away.

It was on a post on this site, happened to a bloke twice (1 was 6 months old) a few other posts mentioned they had similar problems so I just assumed

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 15:36:51 »
If you plan to keep your Suzuki warranty intact you'll have no choice but to use original filters supplied by a main dealer for the 2/3 year warranty period, also if you plan to home service you can kiss any warranty goodbye as they expect main dealers to do the work and its just one of many ways vehicle manufacturers screw us when it comes to faulty products as they can claim you broke the terms of the warranty contract.

Offline Dave L

• The older I get the faster I was......
  • Bike: DL650 AM3
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 08:14:39 »
Hi,
I I have noticed that the oil filer on my Strom has been chipped probably - by a stone - and has started rusting slightly. Luckily I plan to change the filter and oil next month - this is my normal yearly routine regardless of mileage. Has anyone used the K & N option and if so have they had any issues? 

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 11:44:07 »
Don't know if this is still an issue. They may have fixed it by now. Hope they have.
Fed up with anti motorcycle legislation ??. 
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??
https://www.mag-uk.org/

Offline Munchen

• Looking for a DL1000
  • Bike: VFR800
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 20:03:01 »
I've been quite interested to read website forums and watch videos of oil filters this weekend - sad old bugger that I clearly must be.

I stuck a Suzuki branded filter on my bike yesterday with around 2.5 litres of clean oil and then decided that I'd change the oil again after a couple of hundred km, just to flush out some more of the crud.  And so began my search for a suitable filter.

I actually started looking for oil recommendations but found almost nothing, including a search on this site.  I'd like to know what other people use and why, not an explanation of the different weights etc.

The choice of oil filter appears to be, if not opting for original Suzuki, HiFlo or K&N.  Then I read that a K&N is just a HiFlo with a different logo.  I now get the impression that all of the worlds' oil filters are made by one company somewhere in the middle of China and then  surreptitiously shipped around the world for various different logos to be painted on them.

So I'll just stick to Suzuki brand and work on the notion that Suzuki wouldn't sell a filter that's bad for their engines.

The choice of oil that stands out for me is most commonly Motul and Castrol.  I think they'll do until I hear of a better recommendation.  I make a change of oil and filter not longer than yearly on my cars and bikes so I think it's OK.

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 20:45:17 »
Basically, if you're sticking to the service schedule you'll be fine with any reputable brand.
Suzuki filters are good quality, k&n are also good but brands like champion or hi flo will be just fine.
Don't use the 'nut' on the end of the k&n to install the filters. Only to remove!

Oil is a whole can of worms. I've used all sorts of brands over the years. As long as they meet the minium requirements it'll be fine.
The wrong oil grade (within reason- I run 10w40 in all my bikes where 2 out of 4 require 10w30) won't cause any damage, but old/degraded oil will. Change it often and change the filter each time.

Semi synth or fully... It's not a track bike that gets red-lined on every straight so semi will be fine.

Ride Coordinator