Author Topic: Hello from the IoW  (Read 2341 times)

Offline barnabas

Hello from the IoW
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:39:52 »
Hi All - just found this site - just what is needed - thanks for setting it up.

I'm a lifelong biker and accumulated quite a few in the shed. I'm now getting rid of most of them in favour of a do-it-all bike ie one that can economically handle short trips on terrible roads such as we have on the IoW and long trips over to the continent - it had to be a wee Strom. Taking delivery next week and have ordered a centre stand, heated grips and a touring Scottoiler as my first add-ons. Bike's blue by the way.

Amongst other things I traded in a BMW R1150GS with 44,000 miles on the clock. I must say I'm really glad to away from the whole BMW thing and back in the Suzuki fold. We have a really good dealer here (Isle of Wight motorcycles run by Mike Attrill) and although nothing on the Island is as cheap as the mainland, they offer really good friendly and efficient service.

Anyway I'm off to Ireland soon after the bike arrives so will need to get it run in pretty quickly.
Amongst my previous bikes I have had one of the early DL1000s - terrific bike, beautiful engine, really smooth except in the 3-4000 rpm range (anyone else experience the original clutch basket problem?)

If anyone's coming over to the IW and wants to meet up or needs a hand then please just get in touch

Cheers for now

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Hello from the IoW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 13:58:25 »
Welcome in  :D  I love the Iow see you there some time...
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline barnabas

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 14:31:38 »
Thanks Andy - I look forward to meeting you sometime

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 17:26:27 »
Got to love the Wee-Strom.  Much under-rated.

I might take you up on your offer some day.  I've been threatening to bike over to the IoW for a while now.

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 04:12:26 »
Hi mate, welcome to the forum... :D

Offline barnabas

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:40:05 »
Thanks for the welcome all. The IoW is a great place for a get together. There are several bikers and scooter rallies throughout the year - many of them based at a local seaside campsite just down the road.
Maybe something to think about for next year? I'd be happy to organise it.

I know I am going to love the Strom munki having had one before - heaven knows why I sold it. I am going for the Wee this time on the basis of economy. Now I am retired - starting to count the pennies a bit more! Having said that it is the only bike that ticked absolutely all the boxes. Funnily enough the friend who I bought my last 1150GS from bought a wee and then went back to a 1200GS - I think it is largely an image thing. Personally I consider the way a bike rides over  the badge on the tank. When out riding with him, the Wee certainly did everything that my 1150 could do, drank less petrol and more reliable (and a whole lot cheaper on insurance).

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 18:13:45 »
See if you can beat my economy record: 72mpg!  :lala:

My 'zuki dealer nearly dropped the phone when I told him.  If I'm just bumbling about, my average is around 63mpg.

Offline barnabas

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 19:31:16 »
72mpg is fantastic - now that's the sort of economy that really interests me - especially these days!! Just filled up the Polo with diesel today - 133p/litre on the IW!!! Used to cost about £35 to fill - now £45 - it seems to have happened overnight.

Offline barnabas

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:57:48 »
Haven't tried attaching a photo yet so hope this works - this is a bit of a swan song  as it is the last picture of me on a bike other than a V Strom. The old BM 1150 did me proud on this trip around west Ireland (I was actually working there) but I was very glad to see the back of it really - to much hassle, too much fuel, too heavy, too much image...

New Wee arrives this week sometime - now starting to get very excited.