Author Topic: New info on Milky Oil  (Read 17432 times)

Offline TrevorKent

New info on Milky Oil
« on: April 22, 2013, 17:40:13 »
Hello everyone

I thought I had come up with solution to this problem by putting the bike on a paddock stand but to be honest it only hid the Issue. Spoke to my local dealer today and Suzuki are looking at this problem. It is I am told a problem with the new clutch cover which is double skin. I think all of us need to make it an issue with our dealer and therefore Suzuki. They will come up with an answer much quicker if enough of us are asking.

Trevor

Offline TrevorKent

Milky oil gone
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 20:42:47 »
Hello all,

Weather has warmed up and the milky oil has gone. Anyone had a similar experience

Trevor

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: New info on Milky Oil
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 21:07:10 »
Hello Trevor, I merged your two topics. If things are related you should just post on your original thread rather than started a new topic :thumb:

The milky oil is usually just some condensation that gets into the engine. It can easily happen if the bike is ridden for short distances in colder weather or if it's been stood without riding at all over the colder months. Once you get it running up on temperature long enough and frequently enough for the water to evaporate and make it's way out of the system via the oil breather hoses that goes to the air box it clears without problems.

Opening the air box and squeezing the little sponge thing that sits over the oil breather in a dry rag will get a lot of water out quicker. You have to do this a few times after some longer rides to get rid of most of it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 21:45:29 »
:thumb:  what Juv Said

all the bikes I've had have had a little bit of moisture inside the filler cap in the winter months.
and those with oil windows show the milk stuff on the glass when it's been sat for a little while in the cold.

it's condensation!

what's with everyone in the last 6 months thinking this I a major issue?  :crazy:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 21:46:35 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
What's with everyone in the last 6 months thinking this I a major issue?  :crazy:
They're summer riders :neen:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 22:00:33 »
lol

Ride Coordinator

Offline Penfold

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:32:22 »
Not a summer rider me ride all year. Even though in the winter the journeys are shorter. None of my other bikes have had the issue hence the concern, but as the weather has warmed up its all clear now. :grin:

Offline TrevorKent

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 18:22:04 »
Thanks Penfold, now fifty years old and ridden bikes since 17, all year round and not had an issue like this with a new bike Trevor

Thanks for the advice though Juvecu will do as you suggest, plus new to this forum business.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 22:15:53 »
We're just joking with our tongues firmly in our cheeks about the summer riders. Everyone gets to choose when they ride themselves. There are plenty of other reasons why the oil might be milky. I ride all year round and I see it every year on my bike during the coldest months.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 22:38:20 »
What is queer about the condensation on the inside of the sight glass on mine is that it hasn't been there during the winter (& I've kept on it where I could doing reasonable journeys) it's has only started appearing recently and it's generally after a run. There's nothing milky about the oil & there's no mayo inside the filler. I'll have a check on the breathers next time I'm out at it but, other than that or some iffy oil, It's got the garage as confused as I am..... :shrug:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 22:46:57 »
I never had milky oil on any of my Yamaha's. I have it on the Glee + sight glass still misted. Have ridden all year round since I got my first ride in Jan 2006.... I'll see what dealer mechanics think at its next service end of May

Offline disco man

Re: Milky oil gone
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 20:26:04 »
Quote from: "TrevorKent"
Hello all,

Weather has warmed up and the milky oil has gone. Anyone had a similar experience

Trevor
I its disco man here my vstrom 650 does the same when spring comes it allways clears I've found most suzukis I have had has this problem its nothing new like Suzuki are saying keep. running it as much as you can in the winter I allways try and keep the motor going ie start it up every week when not in use and get it warm. cover end can with rubber glove

Offline greywolf

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 21:14:11 »
Starting the engine if you aren't going to ride it for 20 minutes or so is a bad idea. Combustion produces water as a byproduct and other byproducts turn the water into acid. If you don't get everything hot enough to burn off the water, you are just putting pouring acid into the bike.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 22:33:26 »
Yup, only start it if you're going to ride it..

Offline RichyB

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 15:13:57 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Hello Trevor, I merged your two topics. If things are related you should just post on your original thread rather than started a new topic :thumb:

The milky oil is usually just some condensation that gets into the engine. It can easily happen if the bike is ridden for short distances in colder weather or if it's been stood without riding at all over the colder months. Once you get it running up on temperature long enough and frequently enough for the water to evaporate and make it's way out of the system via the oil breather hoses that goes to the air box it clears without problems.

Opening the air box and squeezing the little sponge thing that sits over the oil breather in a dry rag will get a lot of water out quicker. You have to do this a few times after some longer rides to get rid of most of it.
Spot on. Have had this with a number of bikes for same reason. A good blast seems to solve it.

It can be sign of a blown head gasket (with water cooled lumps) but that is a much rarer happening.

My GSX1400 was habitual at this. It took around 30 to 40 miles to properly warm up. Anything less, and a few short trips, brought it all back again  :groan:
Gilera 50cc Trail, Suzuki AP50, Suzuki GT 250, Suzuki GT 500 {Buying house and raising kids} -  Then Yamaha DT 175, Kawasaki GPz 750, Honda CB 250, Kawasaki ZX9R (x3), Kawasaki KLE 500, Suzuki GSX 1400 and Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 23:21:08 »
Well,  this is still my sight glass after using through winter. With all the warm weather we've had,  and recently changed the oil and filter along with some long rides at motorway speeds, I'd have thought it would have shifted but still no joy.
Any ideas on what might clear it? Might add some engine cleaner to the oil at the next change... (pic taken as soon as I returned from a 2 hour ride on some twisties)

Online MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 08:00:31 »
Wow, mine has never looked that bad. My Daughters car oil does, but she rolls just over a mile to work and back.

I would have thought that 2 hour blast would have cleared that.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 09:57:22 »
I have an oil temperature gauge which replaces the oil filler cap. It may not read the exact oil temperature, but gives a good indication of trends. I have a 20 miles commute, and even when it's warm running at 60mph on A roads for the most part the oil temperature is about 55 degrees C, until I have a slow mile or so when it starts to rise to 60 degrees C. The oil temp only gets to about 60 deg C if running above 30 mph in the UK. To get it higher then a few miles of town commuting is needed. A couple of hours on the motorway, assuming legal speeds won't be as effective, IMO, as 30 minutes of cross town riding, stop / start running.

I'd recommend cleaning out the oil filler cap of any gunge in there, and also checking that the crankcase breather isn't blocked. If they're OK and you're certain the oil level window is OK, then take it for a cross town ride.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 21:02:53 »
Thank you for the replies. That's interesting about oil temperatures.

My usual commute is about 6.5 miles across Leeds and back with top speeds around 40mph, regular stop starts and filtering thrown in. There were also quite a few rides out and blasts down the motorway too (Bedford and back, Liverpool and back).

I'll do as suggested,  check oil cap (didn't look that bad when changing the oil & filter), will check breather tubes and air filter, and do some slow riding. Hopefully that'll sort it. If not maybe an Italian tune up might (9-10,000 rpms for 4-5 miles might get the oil temp up  :auto-dirtbike:  :auto-dirtbike:)

Will let you know how I get on.

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 22:43:27 »
Just came accross this thread - White or Milky oil known as Emulsification, seen this on older engines. The causes are condensation forming on the inside of the engine cases and the oil temperature not getting hot enough, or over cooling of oil. Couple of things also to look at, is the engine running cooler than normal from a  possible sticking thermostat ( oil on Glee is watercooled) So if the engine temperature is not getting hot then the bad stuff in the oil won't evaporate / be burned off. Check coolant level. The chances you have a water leak on the headgasket is probably unlikely, but even so its worth checking and omitting the coolant level. If the emulsified oil doesn't clear, get to the dealer, as you may need an oil flush to prevent internal blockages within the engine oil galleries.

Would have thought the run out over the A66 would have got the oil nice and hot ;)