How To: Throttle Valve/Carb Syncronization & Screw location

Talk about V-Strom related topics here.

How To: Throttle Valve/Carb Syncronization & Screw location

Postby kevshek » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:59 am

Can anyone help with a picture or good description? I'm going to be attempting this tomorrow hopefully.
Last edited by kevshek on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you mod it, They will come!
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee
kevshek

My Bike: Blue DL1000 K3
Current Mileage: 18900

Re: Throttle Valve/Carb Syncronization Screw location?

Postby greywolf » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:20 am

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A is just getting started.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Veek=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
greywolf

My Bike: DL650AL2 in custom yellow
Current Mileage: 14750

Re: Throttle Valve/Carb Syncronization Screw location?

Postby kevshek » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Well i went to do my sync today but it made little difference as i couldnt get mine to equal. Anyways, here's a short How To with a few tips which the other threads don't show you.

First off, remove the seat, both side panels, lift and prop up the tank. (you could actually skip this step!)

Front TB vacuum nipple can be accessed from the left side of the bike under the tank. this point towards the back. See below where i have already attached the black rubber hose from the gauge.

On the right side of the bike between the carbs, youll find a black round canister held by a rubber sleeve, pull this backwards to slide it off the mount so you can move it out the way to access the Rear TB nipple.

Rear TB vacuum nipple can be accessed on the right side through the triangle engine mount. This points forward. Mine already had a small piece of rubber blocked with a screw.

Now to locate the sync adjustment screw, this is on the Front TB, and has a rod going to/from both TBs. The rod is the top on and on the end of it, youll see a screw on the front side.

The sync screw is accessed on the right side, just in front of the triangle engine mount and behind the 3 fins on the bodywork. Just pull it back. This screw is a pain to get too and adjust with a screw driver, as its under the airbox. I also tried the long nose plier method used by the other forum, but its far too difficult and takes far too long and too many turns. Its so easy to slip off the screw head, so here's Kevs solution.

Get a small section of rubber hose, i had some stretchy silicone hose 3mm dia.

Slide the hose over the top of the screw, which you should be able to reach by hand. Now you have something to grip and turn.

Mine turns by finger without any issues, however, my adjustment just wouldn't come together.
My bike originally started off like this.

No matter which way i went with the adjustment, i couldnt get it any better, so gave up for now.
Next time i do this, i don't even think i need to remove any panels, as i know where everything is, i can get to it with my small hands.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee
kevshek

Re: How To: Throttle Valve/Carb Syncronization & Screw locat

Postby Juvecu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Don't you have to tune the CarbTune before you use it for the adjustment? Or isn't it one of those types of meters? If you don't know what I mean I can explain.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration"
Image                                                    Juv's DR-Z
Juvecu
Site Admin

My Bike: Blue K5 Wee, Yellow K6 DR-Z400SM
Current Mileage: 105116

Postby kevshek » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 pm

This one you don't, its just mercury and works off a vacuum.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee
kevshek

Postby Juvecu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 pm

I made a home made one with plastic pipe fixed to a meter stick and antifreeze. I never get it to match perfectly either.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration"
Image                                                    Juv's DR-Z
Juvecu
Site Admin

My Bike: Blue K5 Wee, Yellow K6 DR-Z400SM
Current Mileage: 105116

Postby kevshek » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 pm

aye, just must be the way it has to be. I did notice, the rod which controls both TBs is constantly making adjustments, i found to adjust thye screw, i had to stop the engine or hold the fully open momentarily, which causes the revs to rise.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee
kevshek

Return to V-Strom specific discussion